General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re: Alternator shot??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Default Re: Alternator shot??

My 2000 Honda Accord's got about 180000 miles on it and everything is original on it pretty much engine wise. The check engine light popped up today and I was thinking it might be the alternator. Recently for the past few months, the electronics on the inside don't light up for a few minutes after the engine starts going. It only happens sometimes though. And then today the check engine light popped up. It may be the battery but the battery light isn't on. I was thinking it might be alternator but any guesses/suggestions guys??

Btw I'm thinking of putting in some HIDs and projectors on it and this may not be a good sign. Hopefully it's nothing major but any suggestions on it would be good.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

The check engine light means the computer detected a problem using its sensors and stored a code. Stop by an autoparts store and have them scan for codes. Post the codes on here, the start with the letter P and have 4 numbers, like P1234.

It is unlikely that your batter/alternator caused the CEL to turn on. You can have the parts store test the battery, starter, and alternator while you are there getting the codes.

The lights not turning on while the car is running is strange. What lights specifically are not turning on?

Old 05-15-2010, 07:01 AM

Alright I am heading over to the dealership today for a service appointment so I should find out what the problem is. Hopefully you're right and it isn't anything major.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:35 AM

Alright so the dealership was too busy to actually run a diagnostic today which means I just saved 105 dollars plus tax but the dude gave me the error codes that you asked for.

He said there are two error codes, P1259 and P0700. The first is apparently a VTEC failure and the second and AT system. I am guessing AT meant automatic transmission. So any more details anyone can give me about the specific problem would be nice.

so far it isn't sounding too good with that VTEC failure. Please tell me I don't need a new motor a rebuild of the current one.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

P1259 = something with the VTEC oil-pressure switch.

P1259 can be caused by low oil inventory or low oil pressure. Check your oil.

This is a 4-cyl engine???

The VTEC spool valve (#11) is bolted to the head but this picture is a bit misleading. It's actually over towards the other end of the head - backside but over closer to the distributor.

The VTEC oil-pressure switch is #14 screwed into the side of that spool valve. Check for loose/dirty/corroded wiring or maybe even a cut wire.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:46 PM

It is a 4 cylinder engine. And I just got the oil changed today at the dealership so the oil should be new and clean. But I'll try to check for that wire, well it's corrosion and/or anything cut.

Looks a bit complicated to do though as I've never actually opened up the VTEC cover and all but I'll give it a shot. Just looking so it shouldn't be that hard.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

The valve cover (top of the engine - says VTEC on it) does NOT have to come off.

This spool valve is behind that valve cover & can be seen without removing any covers at all. This is just a parts-catalog picture which shows the head this way.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:34 AM

Alright so here are some pictures of what I thought was the spool valve. I could be totally wrong but hopefully I am not. Take a look and tell me what u think.

Name:  IMAG0035.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0037.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  90.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0036.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  52.0 KB

Old 05-16-2010, 11:38 AM

tell me if that is it or if not i'll try to find it again. sorry about posting really big pictures. it just happened that way.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Spool valve isn't in there. Look for the triangle flange with 3 bolts. Little metal can in the middle sticking up with a single wire.

Hold the camera in about the same position, but shoot straight down not back towards the firewall.

Quick Reply: Re: Alternator shot??