General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reading Helm Electrical Troubleshooting Manual for Hondas

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 01:13 AM
Default Reading Helm Electrical Troubleshooting Manual for Hondas

Hello,

I have been looking at wiring diagrams in the 2003-2004 Accord Helm ETM. My question is regarding what it means to have a dashed double loop around a group of wires on a diagram. Looks like this double loop originates from SH GND connections, which leads me to think this is a way of saying a certain grouping of wires are shielded by a ground wire...

What type of wire or multi-conductor wire would be ideal if I were to make my own wire harness? Specifically, the diagram on page 156-3 of the Honda 2003-2004 Accord ETM by Helm.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 10-29-2007, 03:59 AM
Default RE: Reading Helm Electrical Troubleshooting Manual for Hondas

You are correct, that is a symbol for shielding, you just need to build a harness with shielded wire with the internal wire of the correct guage. A shield is only grounded at one end, not both ends, if you ground the shielding at both ends, it acts like an antenna and picks up noise. The shield of course is there to clean up noise, radio interference, RFI from ignition components, from the high voltage spike of coils and relays when the release their clamp, solenoids like the injectors make a lot of noise too. I sounds like you have it from here, did yours burn up or get shorted out or are you building a project or adding a system.

I dont have the Helm but sometimes if you just twist the two wires (non shielded) going to the injector (example), the noise will be cancelled out, this is what PC computers are doing now to lower the cost, look at your fan wires, they may be twisted to cancel out the noise???

As you mentioned, sometimes a single wire is shielded and sometimes a group of wires are shielded, you can also do a group by purchasing some braiding, just like waht isused for the Chinese Finger Locking trick, in the old days, the cops used this for thumb cuffs, before hand cuffs were invented. There is flat braiding used for bonding wire and round braiding that CAN be used for what you are looking for. For best results, each individual wire should be shielded though for best results, did I say that already.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:14 PM

Yep... I've got a project. I'm about 80% finished a navi conversion on my non-navi 2003 accord. I have all the parts, but I'm still working on acquiring the wire connectors and the actual wire itself. I will probably start offering my wire harnesses to anyone who wants a pre-made wire harness.

Thanks for the confirmation on the shielding by the way....

Old 10-29-2007, 09:05 PM

I went to your link (Blog), very nice. I am currently working on a very huge Air Conditioning project, would it be possible to take and post some pics of some AC components and wire harness (closeups) so I could show which wires to test for diagnosis, pin configuration pic, just anything in the area where you are working please. I could guide you once I know what it looks like in there please.

I did notice in the AC troubleshooting guide, it asked if the vehicle has Navi or not but I do not yet know what the difference is between the two, if any at all, there probably is, I can dig into it though and we can do some horse trading if that good with you.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:58 PM

The only difference I know of is the dual climate controls, which is standard on vehicles with navigation systems. That said, there is a difference between vehicles without dual climate controls, which would like be why the AC document you're talking about mentions a concern over which type of vehicle you have...

...I'll be posting a complete guide on my site once I'm done with the install. I'll have all the information necessary to do it yourself, so if you have any questions about the wire harness/connectors used during the install, it will all be in the guide -- likely in PDF format.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

Dual climate control would make a big difference. Besides the controls, it would have all the hardware to allow different temperatures at each side. Seems like the heater housings, blower housings, mixing doors, & air ducts would all have to be different.