General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this for Real....PLEAse Read

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:31 PM
flyboycj84
Unregistered
Default Is this for Real....PLEAse Read

so im selling my 1998 accord, and these guys come to look at it. They pop the hood, take off the oil filler cap and put their hand over it. Then they fully cover it with their hand, hit the accelerator for a moment......he lifts his hand and there is a slight bit of oil in the shape of a circle on his hand where he covered the filler hole. Then says....."see this oil??? This engines blown. seeya"

I dont know....i call bullPOOPY on this one....am i missing something

Old 09-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Default RE: Is this for Real....PLEAse Read

That is the wierdest thing i ever heard...
did you know these guys? Did you drive the car since this? and did you talk to them at all before it happened?

Old 09-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I call BS

Old 09-30-2006, 10:26 PM
flyboycj84
Unregistered

I dont know them....but they replied to an add on craigslist. They claim they buy and sell a lot of cars, and that I should know this for "future reference" that its common on Accords. I have worked on plenty of Jeeps (yeah....im a Jeep guy....thats actually why Im selling) and used to work on airplanes, so Im not an idiot...but it was real strange, the car has run flawless for the year ive had it. so who knows, one for the books i guess...

Still got a car for sale though.....takers??? $6200

Old 09-30-2006, 10:31 PM

The reason there are valve covers and oil filler caps is to keep the oil inside the engine. When the engine is running, oil is being pumped throughout the motor including up into the valve train which is under the valve covers. I would expect that oil would do exactly what it did. If you unscrew any oil filler cap and look at the bottom of it you will find oil. I think they dont know what they are talking about.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:54 PM

agreed with jrschmank thats the whole reason there is a valve cover....unless you have a flathead motor you will always have a valve cover because oil circulates through that area, so yeah when they crank the car and the dumbass puts his hand over it there will be oil sprayed up onto his hand. the main way you know if an engine is blown, and being somone who works on other vehicles should know this, smoking, knocking, blown head etc.. those guys were being *POOPYholes and had no idea what they were talking about.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:24 PM

I don't buy it. You would know if your motor was blown. Probably looking to see if you'll give the car away...

my girlfriend is a jeep girl. So I get to mess around with jeeps now too.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:46 PM

The guy's either a dumbBUTT or he's trying to get you to knock the price down.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:01 AM
flyboycj84
Unregistered

My thoughts exactly gentlemen....Thank You.

so, who wants a 98 with a blown engine (haha....not really)

but i do need to sell it

Old 10-01-2006, 01:23 AM

LOL LOL LOL ,, i guess this fellow is not going to buy any cars ,,,,,,,lol lol lol

Quick Reply: Is this for Real....PLEAse Read