General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake Caliper Piston trouble 99 Accord (European Model)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:39 AM
gdoyler
Unregistered
Default Rear Brake Caliper Piston trouble 99 Accord (European Model)

***edit to add link to picture***

Hi all,

2nd post (just posted in introductions).
I'm trying to change rear brake pads on 99 European model Accord.
What should have been an easy job has turned into a nightmare of cramped knees, cold *ss (its about 4 deg celcius in Ireland now), and skinned knuckles!
I've got the old pads out, and am trying to get the piston back into the caliper. Ive done a quick google search, and from what I gather, the piston has to be screwed back into the caliper- I've tried this, but it does not appear to be going back into it. I've also tried pushing it in, with no luck.

I've attached a pic of the offending item- anyone got any ideas?

**sorry- can't post pics yet- link below**

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8...D550/ry%3D400/

Cheers.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:22 AM
hondaac
Unregistered
Default RE: Rear Brake Caliper Piston trouble 99 Accord (European Model)

I have similar caliper but the piston has a large slot across the face.Because the pads were beyond the maximum wear and the same for the rotor,the piston was almost out.You are right when you said you have to screw it in.So i used the largest screwdriver i could find with a pair of vise-grip and pushing on the piston downward and screwing it clockwise at the same time.Since the caliper has a screw type piston,the threads finally meshed together and the piston screwed in as it should.
After 6 months it still works as it should.By the way i was told that this type of caliper has no serviceable parts and strongly
suggested te be done by a pro.
good luck

Old 08-13-2012, 11:57 AM

First time poster. How yas all? I've just finished fighting with my rear brake caliper. Just would not screw in for me. Finally, after taking the advice of the above post, Downward pressure while turning clockwise worked. Ready to fit new pad now. Cheers