General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear seatbelts wet

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Default Rear seatbelts wet

I have a 97 Accord Coupe. When I drive in very heavy rain, the rear seatbelts that are attached to the floor, get wet. There is no moisture anywhere else except the webbing of the belts that come up between the seats. Anyone have a solution for this?

Old 10-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Can you pull the lower part of the rear and check for any more water. Also while there look for any body plugs that might be missing.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:56 AM

Thanks. I am new to Honda's and wasn't sure where to start. I will pull out the seat and take a look.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:33 PM

Ok. I pulled out the rear seat and found a tiny bit of water on the body plug under the rear driver side, and that seat and seat belts were wet. I decided to dry everything out and leave the seat out to see if I could find out where the water is coming from, since it's supposed to rain tomorrow. However, I went out for an errand, and since the seat is out, I could hear a sloshing sound that I did not hear when the seat was installed. I thought it was the gas in the tank. But after my drive, there was water on the plug, so I'm guessing that water is trapped beneath that plug and is seeping thru. Does anyone know where the water is, how it got there, how do I drain it, and keep it from collecting again?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Look under the spare tire in the trunk.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:19 PM

OK. I found it. The water is coming thru the right rear shock area. I used a garden hose to spray up into that area, and the water came into right rear seat well. Anyone know of a solution for this? I also found water on my right front speaker in the door panel. Has anyone heard of that one?

Old 10-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

I'd remove all the upholstery & carpet stuff from around there, to get a good look from the inside. There's a few possibilities...

- Rotted rubber bushings where the shock bolts through the body. Replace em.

- Actual hole corroded through the metal of the shock tower. Patch it with whatever you like.

- Actually leaking around the window & running downhill towards where you see it???

- (wrong side of the car, but for other people it might be associated with the holes for the fuel filler pipes)

Old 10-25-2012, 01:52 PM

The water was coming in thru one of the seams in the body in the area of the left rear shock. There was no rust - I guess one of the seams just separated with age. I used JB Weld on seams on the interior, and in the wheel well. The garden hose test resulted in no leak. I will find out for sure in a few days when we get some rain.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

I think a lot of seams like that are sealed with something like rubber caulking. It'll be more flexible than JBWeld so won't crack in the future.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

What JimBlake stated is correct. Many Honda dealership use 3M Ultrapro Autobody Sealant (fits a standard caulking gun).

Quick Reply: Rear seatbelts wet