General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Speakers Do Not Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Rear Speakers Do Not Fit

Not sure if this has been asked before or where I should post it but anyway....
I had some aftermarket speakers in the back and they fit fine. Were a cheaper brand and I replaced one of them with a better speaker but it does not fit. The speaker does fit in the hole or whatever but the top piece to cover the speaker does not fit. Anyone have a fix for this?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

When I've done this, I've only ever replaced both speakers so they match. Then I use the grilles that come with the speakers.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

replacing just 1 rear speaker is not the right thing to do.

Also giving the information on the speaker(s) you are replacing them with would be helpful.

We do not know the size, you really did not give much information at all.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:39 PM

why would you replace just one with a better speaker? are you slightly def in the other ear so it doesnt make a difference? LOL just messing, but really we need a part number or something so we know what you are talking about.. Im a fan of using the factory covers, but if they don't fit, then just us the grill that came with it.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by GoneHonda
why would you replace just one with a better speaker? are you slightly def in the other ear so it doesnt make a difference? LOL just messing, but really we need a part number or something so we know what you are talking about.. Im a fan of using the factory covers, but if they don't fit, then just us the grill that came with it.
Only replaced one because the stock grill doesnt fit and the new speakers didnt come with a grill. They are 6x9's. I also have subs so because the grill doesnt fit right it rattles a lot and didnt want both sides rattling. I want to put the other one in but not until I can get a fix.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Found a fix here.

Honda Accord 94-97: Rear Aftermarket Speaker w/ OEM Grill Fix

Has anyone done this?

Old 05-24-2012, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I've done something similar. Speakers had bigger magnets, so they didn't fit with the trunk-lid springs. So instead of mounting them underneath the metal structure of the deck, I mounted them on top of the deck. The grilles were lifted up about 1/2 inch or so, but didn't hit anything. That looked better than using the grilles that came with the speakers.

That won't work with ALL speakers, ALL years of cars, etc. It's hit-or-miss, depending on exactly why your speaker doesn't fit.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:28 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Yeah, I've done something similar. Speakers had bigger magnets, so they didn't fit with the trunk-lid springs. So instead of mounting them underneath the metal structure of the deck, I mounted them on top of the deck. The grilles were lifted up about 1/2 inch or so, but didn't hit anything. That looked better than using the grilles that came with the speakers.

That won't work with ALL speakers, ALL years of cars, etc. It's hit-or-miss, depending on exactly why your speaker doesn't fit.

Hopefully it works... I hate the rattling. Need to try this soon. Thanks

Old 05-31-2012, 12:16 AM

If you can return them, you might be interested in going smaller for the rear. When you use a sub for lows, say 80 to 100 hz and down, your paying more for the 6x9 to try and do the same thing. A 6x9's advantage over a 6 1/2 is more woofer cone space. Useful without a sub, but less useful with a sub in play. It's been said in car audio articles throughout the years that larger woofer cones, like 6x9's can be affected by bass waves from a sub. Probably a powerful sub setup would negatively affect but not a less powerful setup. Just my two cents.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:19 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by wattsk69
If you can return them, you might be interested in going smaller for the rear. When you use a sub for lows, say 80 to 100 hz and down, your paying more for the 6x9 to try and do the same thing. A 6x9's advantage over a 6 1/2 is more woofer cone space. Useful without a sub, but less useful with a sub in play. It's been said in car audio articles throughout the years that larger woofer cones, like 6x9's can be affected by bass waves from a sub. Probably a powerful sub setup would negatively affect but not a less powerful setup. Just my two cents.
The speakers are already a year old haha. I just transferred them from another car.

Quick Reply: Rear Speakers Do Not Fit