General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

recomended fluid for 5spd?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Default recomended fluid for 5spd?

i was reading in another thread about fluid for your manual trans. i have been running regular ole 10w30 in trans and i think im due for a change. i didn't know that honda had a MTF. what exactly is it? and how is it different/ better than 10w30? i have 215,000 on my accord and have been noticing some things with the trans. unless you gor pretty easy shifting in to 3rd you can feel and hear the syncro/dog teeth "smacking" together.its not grinding. also when its darn cold first takes longer to select. any thoughts is honda MTF really magical?

thanks!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: recomended fluid for 5spd?

Its recommended for their manual trannies and comes in all their manual cars. There is a reason they recommend their fluids for certain things.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Honda didn't start 'making' their MTF until sometime after 1995. They say it's backwards compatible for all their trannys that originally called for 10w-30 engine oil.

I switched to that in my (former) '95 Integra & noticed a bit of improvement. It's not 'magic' but it probably will help what you're noticing. You'll smell the EP additives that aren't present in engine oil. Newer Honda trannys probably need that, & it won't hurt yours.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 AM

thank you guys, ill look in my manual for how much it takes. is this stuff really expensive like the ATF? bc i know that stuff is like crazy high!when i was working at the local saturn dealership they thought i was crazy when i said that i run 10w30 in my tranny. ha ha ha

Old 01-18-2008, 12:08 PM

Well when you think about it... $6.50/qt x 3 = $20 a change, once a year. In my mind, that's a small price to pay for Honda fluid and peace of mind, even if it isn't magical.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:52 PM

I put Honda MT fluid in my 93 today and it shifted noticeably better after the change from the 10W30 GTX that I used before. It was $7.50/quart here and mine took a little over 2 quarts.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:57 AM

I had mine changed about 3 months from 10W30 toHONDA MT fluid. The shifting is perhaps marginally improved, but it really wasn't bad to beginwith.

I have heard some people seem to like GM's (Synchromesh?) fluid in their Honda Manual Trannies and have reported marked improvement. I decided to use Honda's, fearing the GM fluid may not be be quite compatibale with older Honda Trannies.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:04 PM

Ive heard good and bad things about honda MTF. I would say if its starting to grind GM syncromesh would be better.

You think its crazy that a manual transmission takes engine oil, I have a friend that drives a ford truck with a M/T that takes ATF!

Old 01-19-2008, 05:08 PM

81 Chevy Citations Manual trannies used ATF as well...

Old 01-20-2008, 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: nafango2

Ive heard good and bad things about honda MTF. I would say if its starting to grind GM syncromesh would be better.

You think its crazy that a manual transmission takes engine oil, I have a friend that drives a ford truck with a M/T that takes ATF!
no i thought it was just normal to run engine oil. some of the junior techs thought it was weird. i think some of the saturns run atf in their manuals. to me thats weird! just out of curiousitywhat kinda bad things have you heard about honda mtf?

Quick Reply: recomended fluid for 5spd?