General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regular or Premium

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Default RE: Regular or Premium

i have been told time and time again by honda mechanics that the only honda recommended to rum premium is the s2000, and try to use shell, chevron, or 76 gas - they have said exactly what RTexasF is tellin ya... anyhow - i like the view from behind! i have the 06 auto v6 - the standard AEM CAI gave it a nice little boost in power and a very polite growl... easy install and got mine super cheap on ebay...

I don't know why my reply wound up all by its lonesome instead of the in the string... who cares? this was in reply to sexybeast's post as the subject line indicates - guess i'll just hang out in here by myself for a while... ok... this is boring - peace! i'm out.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:20 PM

My friend had a '04 v6 accord (manual) and he always filled it up with 91 octane. He told me it is fine to use 87 octane on those cars but after a while you'll get engine knocking, so the dealership suggested that he use 91 octane to avoid engine knoking.
My suggestion it is probably true, since your car is a v6 and is brand new. Check with your dealer and see what they recomend. I would advise that you talked to one of the mechanics there or a person who's in charge of the maintanance department, because they'd be able to tell you what's better and what's worse without b.s. or guessing.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

um no.. texas i disagree with you, you say slow burning like its a bad thing. it doesnt mean that it yields a smaller explosion....its actually more volitile. But the only thing that will ignite it is a spark from a spark plug, not a hot ember or anything hanging off the chamber. higher octane fuel actually burns cleaner and more complete, resulting in less combustion deposits left inside the motor. i wish i wouldnt have used regular fuel in my car for so long because now that it has 250k on it, i get plenty of pings when i use 87. people that want to rip hard in their hondas regularly and keep them in top running condition use the best lubricants and fuels.

lightshow

Old 01-31-2006, 11:46 PM

very polite growl... thats cute. hehehe. Well I seen your pic on your album and i feel for the car with the branch on it. Such a sad sight to see when you wake up in the morning to jump into your car. And i'm glad that you like the view from the back

Old 02-01-2006, 01:24 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

This is an in general for everyone, other then the fact that it burns cleaner, will low compression pistons you should never hear a knocking even on 85 octane, when you have a higher compression that knocking is 9 times out of 10 premature combustion, in higher compression engines you need higher octane because with lower octane the compression stroke will ignite before the spark even goes off...... sparkless ignition is why we have diesel engines ^_-

Old 02-01-2006, 06:44 AM

i don't know how much it's true, i'm just saying what i heard (refering to my above post).

Old 02-01-2006, 10:20 AM

Check with your dealer and see what they recomend. I would advise that you talked to one of the mechanics there or a person who's in charge of the maintanance department, because they'd be able to tell you what's better and what's worse without b.s. or guessing.

No guessing involved, owner's manual says 87 octane, the dealer will confirm this.

Read this http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...emiumgas_x.htm

Old 02-01-2006, 02:33 PM

I searched in my owner’s manual for the amount. The only thing that my manual says is unleaded gas and that’s it. But you are right about guessing and the b.s. I will be calling the dealership and ask them about the type of gas that I should be using.

The article that you have linked to the post contradicts the difference gasoline grade it talks about in the article and what is advised to drivers to use in their owners manual or bluntly placed on their gas cap etc. etc. It would make no sense that a car company who is engineering the car would recommended (or state) using 91 octane because of the performance of the car when this article here states that all gas grade is okay to use in the car. I would feel that car companies would place down the lower grade of gasoline as choice if that was the case because it would appeal to the car buyer that they are getting a really great car in performance with the lowest grade of gas. More bang for your buck. So why tell consumers use this grade and that grade when article says it okay to use lower grade for a high performance car? Not stepping on toes but it does state that there is a difference in gas grades even though slightly. I thought that little difference in numbers in terms of car displacement, bore stroke, compression etc etc is a big thing in the long run. So why go for the lower grade when it decreases power? In my opinion I would rather listen to what the car manufactures tell me in terms of gasoline usage for the car instead of being convinced by this article.

I would go the extra just to make sure that I get optimum performance of my car.

p.s.
Not to fond of that article.[:'(]

Old 02-01-2006, 06:24 PM

ok... i give up - use what ever the hell octane you want, just don't go to arco or bp or that one on the way to vegas (the 'flying j') - at the very least you should be getting gas from a reputable rapist - i mean, company... it was recommended to me by the dealer to run some Techron through my little friend every now and again, too - gotta go - i guess i'm supposed to actually do something while I'm here at work. good luck any way you choose to go.

by the way, thanx for the sympathy regarding just the last thing to happen to my car... there's a nice long list of problems (ALL were dealer f*** ups) and i'm just waiting for a submarine to fall from the sky and land on it... i swear, its cursed.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: sexybeast06

I searched in my owner’s manual for the amount. The only thing that my manual says is unleaded gas and that’s it. But you are right about guessing and the b.s. I will be calling the dealership and ask them about the type of gas that I should be using.

The article that you have linked to the post contradicts the difference gasoline grade it talks about in the article and what is advised to drivers to use in their owners manual or bluntly placed on their gas cap etc. etc. It would make no sense that a car company who is engineering the car would recommended (or state) using 91 octane because of the performance of the car when this article here states that all gas grade is okay to use in the car. I would feel that car companies would place down the lower grade of gasoline as choice if that was the case because it would appeal to the car buyer that they are getting a really great car in performance with the lowest grade of gas. More bang for your buck. So why tell consumers use this grade and that grade when article says it okay to use lower grade for a high performance car? Not stepping on toes but it does state that there is a difference in gas grades even though slightly. I thought that little difference in numbers in terms of car displacement, bore stroke, compression etc etc is a big thing in the long run. So why go for the lower grade when it decreases power? In my opinion I would rather listen to what the car manufactures tell me in terms of gasoline usage for the car instead of being convinced by this article.

I would go the extra just to make sure that I get optimum performance of my car.

p.s.
Not to fond of that article.[:'(]

I agree, portions of the article are absurd. I wanted to see who would actually read it and comment. In my owners manual if you open the back cover the fuel requirements are on the last page........"unleaded 86 or higher"

A little research on google will back up using 87 octane if your car calls for it. That's all, buy what you like[sm=smiley31.gif]

Quick Reply: Regular or Premium