General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Removed air intake resonator, now I'm paranoid!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Removed air intake resonator, now I'm paranoid!

I removed the air intake resonator on my 97 Accord SE 4cyl non-vtec. I did so because I heard it makes the intake louder (which it did) and also allows more air flow. Anyway, supposedly there's a couple vacuum lines that ran to the resonator? I never saw any upon removal, and I don't hear any vacuum leaks but I'm paranoid that there might be a hose dangling around. This thread: NTPOG 5th Gen Stock Resonator Removal - Butterfly Controller shows there is a butterfly controller located under the intake, but I don't see one on mine? Other threads I have read through say there is a vacuum line going from the intake mani to the resonator, but I DON'T see one!!! Can anyone clarify any of this for me please? I've done so much research and haven't found my answer.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

The link (North Texas Prelude Owners Group - NTPOG) is for Honda Preludes, the Accords were slightly different. Even among Accords, there were differences depending on trim levels and years (e.g., EX 94-95 vs EX 96-97, EX vs. LX, SE, etc.). On the Honda parts sites, there does not appear to be a identical shape tank on the Accords.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by redbull-1
The link (North Texas Prelude Owners Group - NTPOG) is for Honda Preludes, the Accords were slightly different. Even among Accords, there were differences depending on trim levels and years (e.g., EX 94-95 vs EX 96-97, EX vs. LX, SE, etc.). On the Honda parts sites, there does not appear to be a identical shape tank on the Accords.
Oh lol, preludes. Well I went back to my car and tried listening hardcore. I can hear a air sound almost like whistling somewhere from the passengers side engine compartment. You can't head it under the hood but you can hear it from inside the cab. The sound was definitely not there before I removed the resonator. I'm worried that I might be sucking in unfiltered air into the engine!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a couple of installation instructions for Accord cold air intakes.

http://www.injen.com/galleries/produ...directions.pdf

http://www.partsgeek.com/assets/perf/full/1411024.pdf

I also attached a couple of parts diagrams. Note: In the attached parts diagram for the install pipe tubing, the tube running to Resonator Chamber B is not applicable to the Accord SE, only to the Accord EX (EX had the a Resonator Chamber B).

Attached Thumbnails Removed air intake resonator, now I'm paranoid!-accord-install-pipe-tubing.jpg   Removed air intake resonator, now I'm paranoid!-accord-resonator-chamber.jpg   Removed air intake resonator, now I'm paranoid!-air-cleaner.jpg  
Old 06-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

any gain in power would be negligible, in fact you may lose some power if you just increase air flow with no other mods. put your pants i mean parts back on please

Old 06-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Almost A Senior Member

So basically I DO need to cap off one vacuum line which it shows in your second link on the fourth diagram. I just can't tell where the arrow is pointing to? lol sorry for my ignorance here. Thanks for all the diagrams!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
any gain in power would be negligible, in fact you may lose some power if you just increase air flow with no other mods. put your pants i mean parts back on please
I'm planning on modifying my stock intake system into a hybrid CAI/SRI system which is why I removed the intake resonator.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Take a close look at the part you removed for any obvious places where a vacuum hose would be attached.

What part did you remove in the pic below? Did you remove any other parts?

Old 06-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Here's another link with very clear picture instructions. Note: When it refers to VTEC only, they are referring to the EX model which had the Resonator B Chamber.

http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/69-1208_inst.pdf

Old 06-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Almost A Senior Member

PAhonda, I removed all parts shown in your picture. I studied the resonator and couldn't find any vacuum hose nipples.

redbull, I looked back at the other links you gave me and noticed both of them state that the EX with vtec is the only one that needs to cap off a vacuum line. So theoretically I shouldn't have any vacuum leaks? Still doesn't explain why I hear a whistling sound on the passengers side but maybe it's just my intake? lol

Quick Reply: Removed air intake resonator, now I'm paranoid!