General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Removing air intake duct

Old 12-27-2007, 06:49 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Removing air intake duct

I'm trying to replace my low beam headlights and it saids to removed the air intake duct. How do I take out the duct? I tried pulling on it but it doesn't want to come out.

Also do I just push the tab on the connector to release it so I can pull it off the bulb? I tried and can see the little hook getting released fromt the bulb but I still cant pull the connector down off the bulb.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Default RE: Removing air intake duct

that little air piece that rotates up and down? yeah, give that a good yank.

you have to push that connector downward while holding the release tab on it. sometimes they sieze up on the bulb over the years. slow and steady wins the race. i use a flat tip screwdriver to CAREFULLY increase the downward pressure.
once disconnected rotate the bulb holding assembly to release the bulb.

to make it easier next time grease up the bulb terminals and plastic part that goes into the connector with either dielectric grease or multipurpose grease.

do not get any water, dirt, grease or touch the bulb glass with your skin or you will shorten that bulbs life severely.

have fun!

Old 12-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I'll get some grease and try that in the morning. I did try to push it down with a flat screwdriver but it didn't seem to want to move at all.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 AM

Yeah those bulbs can be a real PITA to get out. i am always afraid I am going to break them.
As far as the air intake duct goes, do you mean the hose running from the stock intake box to the throttle body? if that is what you are talking about, it probably had belt clamps on either end that need to be loosened to get it off. I don't see why you whould have to remove it to access the headlights though.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I meant the tubing that is in front of the intake filter box. It is between the headlight and the filter box and next to the battery.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

That tube from the filter box to the throttle body is easy to take out. Just remove the 4 or 5 screws that hold the air filter housing. I think that the top of the housing can pull out of the intake tube. That is in the instructions so you can get more room to access the light bulb. You can just try to push it out of the way.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:17 PM

Oh the tube sticking up out of the resonator box? You should just be able to pull it right out.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:37 PM

the tube that 00accordlx is talking about is the one that comes up and has an opening that points to the battery, if that's the piece in question then as he stated it just pulls straight up/out

Old 12-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Oops, I forgot about that one. It pulls straigt up. Just put something like a towel over that hole so you don't drop anything in there.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I got the tube off but still having a tough time getting the connector off the bulb. Guess I'll keep at it and hope each time it gets loosen more and more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing air intake duct