General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REMOVING wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 09:05 PM
BigMike
Unregistered
Default REMOVING wheel bearings?

Hey guys. New to the forum here. I am trying to replace my wheel bearings at the current moment because i get a severe wabble when i brake. I tried searching this forum but nothing. Is there a write-up online on how to remove the wheel bearings? I searched online but nothing. If you guys ever replaced your wheel bearings before and had a problem let me know. If it went smoothly would you mind telling me how you did it. I have work tommorrow morning and need this done by tonight. Any tech-help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Default RE: REMOVING wheel bearings?

if your car is wobbling during braking it's most likely a warped rotor and not a wheel bearing.... if you're sure it's a wheel bearing let me know the year/model and we can probably get you a write up on it but more than likely if it was the bearing it would make a noise under normal driving conditions and possibly wobble at different times (accelerating for example) it sounds to me more like a rotor issue, pull off the the front tires and inspect the rotors, maybe turn them a little bit, if they spin freely most of the way but "catch" at a certain point then they are warped and need to be ground down (if possible) or replaced

Old 10-18-2006, 09:35 PM
BigMike
Unregistered

Hey, thanks for your reply. The rotor is fine as are the brakes. Alredy checked and dismissed that theory. I looked in the Haynes manual and the only option left is the wheel bearings. Checked and re-checked every other option in the Haynes Manual and the only one left is to replace the wheel bearings and i dont really know how to replace them. It is a 1990 Honda Accord EX.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:36 PM
BigMike
Unregistered

Forgot to add. The wobble is ONLY when i brake. And it is coming from the front, not the rear.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:53 PM

Here's a DIY on it.... you may need the removal tool though.... I've never done it myself (that I can recall) so I'm not a ton of help but here's that section

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doity...h_bearing1.htm

Old 10-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: BigMike

Forgot to add. The wobble is ONLY when i brake. And it is coming from the front, not the rear.
STOP.... DO NOT replace wheel bearing,,,,,,,you will waste time and money,, YOU GOT WARPED ROTORS

if the wheel bearing were loose ,,first off you would hear noise and secondly it would wobble all the time and not just upon breaking

either machine your rotors if they are tick enough or replace them

In our DIY section there is a write up on how to replace rotors ,,if you need to go that route

Old 10-19-2006, 09:30 AM

Yeah, a bad wheel bearing makes one hell of a loud noise all the time. It's gotta be warped rotors.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:51 PM

Unless you installed the rotor(s) on a lathe - it is difficult if not impossible to tell.

Your rotors may be true BUT - they may contain "hot spots" These are spots on the face of the rotors where they have gotten so hot that the temper has changed. The rotor will continue to wear normal but, the hot spots are so hard they will not. This causes the pads to catch slightly on the spots producing the effect of grip and release without the wobble.

If this is the case - turning on a lathe MAY or MAY NOT remove the spots depending on how deep they are.

Believe it or not.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:11 PM
BigMike
Unregistered

Thanks for all the informative replies guys. I appreciate that no doubt.....As to my solution. For some reason im still stuck on thinking its my wheel bearings. Im gonna go and take another look at it in a few hours and then i'll give you guys an update.....stay tuned

Old 10-19-2006, 08:16 PM
BigMike
Unregistered

Is there a way, visually, i can tell if my rotors are warped. Can it be the brakes pads too....or not likely?

Quick Reply: REMOVING wheel bearings?