General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replace Liquid Filled Transmission Mount on Accord?

Old 03-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Question Replace Liquid Filled Transmission Mount on Accord?

My Accord has this issue of being able to feel the engine shaking at stops. I just took it to a mechanic that charged my $100 to redo the front mount, because it wasn't set properly, and afterwards it didn't fix the shaking in the cabin that much.

I took it back and complained and the mechanic talked with me for about 20 minutes and was saying that they see Hondas like this with the exact same problem all the time. They said overall the car is in good shape but the these engines never ran smooth.

I felt a bit annoyed because I do remember the engine running smooth but from what I'm reading here and other places online, it seems like many people do have the same complaints about Hondas. This shop said replacing the Liquid Filled Transmission Mount on this Accord (#50820-SV4-J01) might be a good idea and that I should definitely get a factory mount. They said the problem might be that I used an aftermarket mount since they see problems with them all the time. They mostly go aftermarket but they said they require factory mounts in many cases.

Since the transmission mount mount is $190 + shipping I'm wondering if I should buy it? Do you think it will fix the shaking you in the car?

Old 03-22-2015, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

What work has been done on your car to fix the problem? Were OEM or aftermarket parts used?

Old 03-22-2015, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
What work has been done on your car to fix the problem? Were OEM or aftermarket parts used?
Replaced the front mount and back vacuum mount. Both are aftermarket.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

I have read that aftermarket mounts can make the vibrations more severe. The rear engine mount is controlled by vacuum to help dampen the engine vibrations. Can't remember if the mount stiffens or relaxes at idle.

A cheaper route for the rear mount would be fining a used one. Was your original mount in bad shape when it was replaced. Did you ever test/check the vacuum solenoid?

Old 03-23-2015, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
A cheaper route for the rear mount would be fining a used one. Was your original mount in bad shape when it was replaced. Did you ever test/check the vacuum solenoid?
Considering how hard that mount is to replace I would not be inclined to go used.

It might have still worked but the metal piece was broken. Never checked the vacuum since it needed to be replaced anyone. I still have it.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:06 PM

What do people think I should?

Old 03-27-2015, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

I'm rock'n an aftermarket rear mount in the 97 SE auto. Only issue is/was some big dummy (me ) didn't seat the vac hose good enough. A few weeks/month(s) after replacement I noticed a good bit of "vibe's" in D or R....dang it. Then after a little look....double dang it as I found the vac hose was not connected to the mount anymore.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Shop manual describes a specific installation sequence to install engine. This may affect performance of the front/rear mounts in limiting vibration.

good luck

Old 03-28-2015, 12:50 PM

Also look at the harmonic balancer as a potential cause.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

What is the idle rpm when in Park....what is the idle rpm when the car is in Drive with the brake on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace Liquid Filled Transmission Mount on Accord?