General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replace Power Steering Fluid

Old 06-18-2009, 11:48 AM
across55
Unregistered
Default Replace Power Steering Fluid

How often should you replace the power steering fluid (2006 Honda Accord)? I can't find it in the owner's manual.

Also, I've read in a few different places that you can do this by emptying the power steering fluid reservoir with a fluid removal tool and then filling the reservoir with new fluid. Drive car. Repeat a few times until fluid looks new. Is this ok? Thanks.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

With several HondAcuras, I've never seen a mileage interval for PS fluid. But I refuse to believe it lasts forever. Maybe ever 50k or 80k or ??? Watch for when it gets dirty?

You can also drain the reservoir by disconnecting the hoses too, but that's more difficult to avoid making a mess.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:30 PM

If the old fluid was dirty, I would just suck it out with a turkey baster (do not re-use on turkey afterwards), then refill with new. Drive it and see if it looks new again. If not, repeat. Basically the same thing you said.

Personally....I don't even look at my fluid. I like to tell myself it lasts forever since Honda never recommends changing it. Out of sight...out of mind. Who needs power steering anyway?

Old 06-19-2009, 06:07 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00AccordLX5spd
If the old fluid was dirty, I would just suck it out with a turkey baster (do not re-use on turkey afterwards), then refill with new. Drive it and see if it looks new again. If not, repeat. Basically the same thing you said.

Personally....I don't even look at my fluid. I like to tell myself it lasts forever since Honda never recommends changing it. Out of sight...out of mind. Who needs power steering anyway?
It's a good idea to change it along with your brake fluid (which people also never think about.) It's funny how Honda may not recommend it however they offer a fluid flush service at all dealerships. If you speak with them there they would suggest doing it. Just a ploy for more money, who knows? For just a couple times in the life of the car a fluid like that is well worth letting the dealer "flush" it, they claim they extract all the old fluid. Same thing with oil changes, my '09 manual claims to change the oil when the indicator tells me too (yeah right!) but when you have it done at the dealer they put a 3 month/3,000 mile reminder sticker on your window. Why don't they either change the manual or direct the dealers to tell people to simply follow manual intervals? That's the same for all mfg's not just Honda.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 AM

3 month/3000 mile intervals net the dealer big bucks. Putting that sticker there makes people feel like they are neglecting their car if they drive past the mileage or the date marked.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Cool

I paid $$$$ to have my Accord PS system flushed once, the mechanic said it would save me from replacing the rack and pinion.

I think that was some BS, and I got the bone on that one. Oh well....live and learn.

On my Accord now, I used a turkey baster to suck out the fluid and refilled. Did this a few times after driving.........fluid looks clean as new!

Old 06-19-2009, 03:57 PM

Yeah the mechanic snowed you. The only harm done from a non-working power steering system is the steering wheel is hard to turn. Plenty of people remove the PS system for weight reduction. I imagine the pump itself may burn up if run dry of fluid though.
My old 91 5.0 Mustang had a ps fluid leak somewhere in the pump when I was in college. I kept refilling the fluid until I decided to just not fill it anymore and go without power steering. Pretty tuff to steer in parking lots with that v8 on top of the front wheels haha. But once I got it up to speed, couldn't even tell the difference. Finally decided to replace the pump later and no problems with any steering components. One time a PS line sprung a leak later and doused the header on the left side making tons of smoke. They are not lying when they say you cannot patch a PS line. I tried anyway haha. Those things must have a ridiculous amount of pressure going through them when under load.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:33 PM
abugatti
Unregistered
Question

Hi All,

This thread is of my interest so I am posting here.

For a few days I have been hearing a slight noise while turning. My dealer wants to change my power steering fluid since my accord is from 2005 with 38k miles. I took a second opinion from a local garage and he said that I don't have to worry about it till I hit 105k unless there is a leak.

What should I do ? Will changing the power steering fluid (get boned by the dealer for peace of mind) or should I trust the local guy ?

Thank you

Old 09-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Almost A Senior Member

If the fluid is really dark, I would try the turkey baster trick and suck out the old and refill with new. You have not got much to loose, and only will cost you a few bucks.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Describe the noise. That might help point to other things like CV joints, wheel bearings, anti-roll-bar bushings, etc??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace Power Steering Fluid