General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced head gasket....shifting funny now.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 05:59 AM
Default Replaced head gasket....shifting funny now.

I adopted a 2001 Honda Acoord (2.3 A.T with 170,000 miles) My son overheated the enging and ran it hot. I pulled the head off and was greeted with all cylinders full of water.
Head was warped, machine shop shaved it, lapped the valves, replaced valve seals and cam seal. I installed the head and all related gaskets.
Engine runs fine except for rough idle when ac is engaged,( idles smoothly when ac is not engaged) front engine mount near radiator is toast, I think is the reason for ac idle problems, Im replacing it today

Does anyone know if there is a idle solenoid to raise the idle when ac is kicked on?

Problem #2----trans is holding gears to long, it shifts out of 1st and 2nd at 4000 rpm....Im sure it should shift sooner. and it's slow to downshift. The shifts are tight and quick so it doesn't seem like it's the trans itself.
Also, all vacume lines are in place and not visualy torn or damaged.
I do have a cel on, I'll have it read today.
The car is in great shape so I don't want to give up on it.
Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by Maxximus; 09-01-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HAF.

I've moved this for a better response.

Sound like you are on the right path for both issues. Be sure to get the actual code when you get it checked - not their description.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Code p-1259
It throws the code after about 30 miles of driving. Runs and shifts fine with no code
After the "cel" lights up, it shifts erratic and low on power
oil level is full.

Last edited by Maxximus; 09-03-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Yea, I guess if you replace the HG because it was blown, you would have changed the oil to be sure there wasn't any coolant in it.......sorry, my bad for not putting two and two together.

Since you replaced the head recently, you might want to pull the solenoid and be sure some "trash" isn't on the screen.

Got a volt meter and some time?

First step is to test the vtec pressure switch for continuity.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:54 PM

I'll definatly check the pressure switch. I changed the oil again , to flush. any remaining water trapped in the engine. I switched from 10w30 to 10w40. Im thinking a 3rd oil change later in the week with 20w50.
After researching p-1259 code, low oil level, low oil pressure or bad pcv could throw the code.
I also replaced the pcv valve...the old one was still flowing , but i feel better with a new one.
I drove it quite a bit this afterrnoon with fresh oil and new pcv....it's running smooth as silk and shifting ok, not perfect, but ok. If I baby the throttle
I'm draining the trans oil in the morning, and replacing with 3 qts of z1 trans fluid, then 3 more in a couple of days. I want to see if it tightens up the shifts.....if not, i'm on the hunt for a remanufactured trans, i found a couple of places for 1100.00.
Thanks for your help man!

Last edited by Maxximus; 09-04-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 PM

Spoke too soon ...just drove it, threw the same code, When the "cel" light is on, it will not shift unless I let off the throttle.
At about 4200 rpm instead of shifting to 2nd it hesitates, almost like it's hitting a rev limiter, it's not the trans slipping.
Pulled over, disconnected the positive battery cable for about a minute, reconnected it, cel went off, and everything went back to normal for about 15 miles, then threw the code again, so it's definatly and electrical problem.

I'll check the pressure switch for continuity, and make sure it has 10 volts going to it, I'll pull the switch and clean it like you suggested. I checked the parts stores around here and they don't have the switch, if it needs replacing, so I guess it's a dealer item.

Last edited by Maxximus; 09-03-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Or a trip to your local bone yard.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 PM

You were right! Screen was clogged on the pressure switch. I was hoping I didn't have low oil pressure issues. vtec is working correctly now. It's shifting better , not erratic like before, but still shifts at about 4000 rpm and slow to kick back into first at a stop. Good call on the pressure switch screen!

Another issue....code p-1739, from what I've researched is probably the 3rd clutch pressure switch.(according to my symptons). 80.00 from honda for the switch. That and fresh fluid should clear up the funky shifting.

I like this car for some reason , sounds great when vtec kicks in. 170,000 miles, I'm sure the cat converter is clogged up also, thats on my to do list also
Just left the VW scene. I sold my 2004.5 GLI with 42,000 miles. I loved the turbo, but it was a very small car, I prefer this Accord.Anyway thanks for the help.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

I added your car info to you signature - I'm old and slow so going back to the first thread and remembering what we are working on....well gets old.

Glad the screen idea worked - or at least so far.

For the trans issue, have you changed the fluid as you said you were going to? Also there are some tests you can do before you just replace the part......

Last edited by poorman212; 09-05-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Switch not solenoid.....
Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 PM

I have 6 quarts of Honda fluid. I'm draining it in the morning, ride around, then drain it again. I have not bought the clutch pressure switch, I want to see how it behaves with new fluid
The fluid thats in it now is still red, but it does have a slight burnt smell.

The "cel" is not on when I start it in the morning, it takes about 40 or 50 miles of driving for it to throw the p-1739 code. Once it throws the code, then it seems to want to go into 3rd gear even at a stop, I have to manually shift it into first, second, etc.etc.
Engine temps are normal. Outside temps here are in the 90's

Quick Reply: Replaced head gasket....shifting funny now.