General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

replaced the speed sensor and speedo is still messed up! please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Default replaced the speed sensor and speedo is still messed up! please help

i replaced the speed sensor twice thinkin the first one was faulty it is still doing the same thing it will work for a little bit then wig out and go back to 20 and stay there im going to a local pull apart tomorrow and geting a cluster out of another accord to see if that could be the problem i believe it is either that or the speedo gear in the trans if it actually has one or it could be the connector what is the likly hood of either of those being the case??? bc the connector looks as tho it has some burn on it but i dont no if that would be the problem or not if you have any info please help

Old 10-20-2009, 12:44 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

What Year Accord? Did you check for computer codes?

Last edited by kris_loehr; 10-20-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Did you try the cruise-control to learn whether it's a bad VSS or a bad cluster?
How did you rule out dirty/flaky electrical connections?

Old 10-20-2009, 12:45 PM

i got a 94 lx coupe 5-speed the cruise control i have not tried with the new speed sensor

Old 10-20-2009, 12:47 PM

i dont know i sprayed electrical cleaner on the connection i went to the junk yard this morning and there were no clusters for sticks?

Old 10-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

If the cruise works (old VSS or new) then the VSS itself is OK.

You can test continuity through the wiring. Got a multi-meter?

Old 10-20-2009, 02:31 PM

no i dont have a multi meter and the cruise does not work but it has two brand new vss's on it do you think both could be faulty when i first put them both on the speedo worked for a little while like the first one made it a mile and the second made it about a quarter of a mile?

Old 10-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Well, if the "new" one's from a junkyard... maybe they're both bad?

Still could be bad wiring, upstream from where the signal splits off for the cruise. I don't have a wiring drawing for 94, so don't know the specifics. Look in the DIY section for a sticky-thread on manuals.

If you're gonna chase electrical problems, you need a multi-meter. Cheap ones are probably less than $20. You can spend a lot on parts just by guessing.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:41 PM

thanks no both were brand new just put a third one on there and it did the same thing cruise still does not work so im thinking that 3 speed sensors brand new they all cant be faulty so i am thinking it is the wiring not the cluster bc if it were the cluster the cruise would be working right?? is there a gear in the trans where the little metal think goes into from the vss that could be going bad?? i had advanced autoparts look it up but could not find anything thanks for your info
Brandon

Old 10-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Is your check engine light and/or D4 light turning on when you are driving?

If so, check for error codes. Use a thin paper clip or a piece of wire to short the service connector. Here are a good set of instructions. http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Quick Reply: replaced the speed sensor and speedo is still messed up! please help