General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement radiators

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Question Replacement radiators

I have a 1991 Accord wagon EX. The radiator has developed a split on the top reservoir seam that I temporarily repaired with JB Weld. I plan to replace the radiator, read the DIY description and am confident it is well within my skill set. My question is with the many brands available on the net, what are the best quality replacement radiators in list experience? or what should I avoid?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 08-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Lswpubrw,

I have found that the OEM radiator by Denso is a top-notch quality replacement radiator. It may not possess the cooling capacity of aggressive after market performance radiators from Mishimoto but it's entirely sufficient for street use. The OEM part number is 19010-PT1-908 and costs anywhere from $372 (dealership price) to $263 (OEM parts site price).

I would avoid buying after market radiators from autopartswarehouse.com or rockauto.com, as I've installed a few of these budget radiators for my friends in the past and they've had issues with leaks/fitment.

Just make sure that you conduct ample research before pulling the trigger on a replacement radiator and you'll be golden

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-20-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: removed live selling link
Old 08-31-2011, 11:32 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

wow - that seems expensive
I used a $100 rad from Autozone and it works perfectly for me
Been over as year and ZERO problems.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

If you go to densoproducts.com and search for 221-3225, you will find a denso radiator for your accord for $120.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Smile Thanks!

Thanks much that was very helpful, I'm opting for the Denso exact replacement.

Bob

Old 08-31-2011, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Two cents from a poorman, get quality rad hoses, I prefer Gates but that is me.

Then if this is an auto trans, be sure to get a couple of feet of trans cooler hose(must be rated for trans cooler use...fuel line WILL NOT WORK) and replace the rubber parts going to the bottom rad connectors....and plan on needing a bit if trans fluid or at least check it after.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

+1 on the trans lines
I bought fuel lines when i did mine and had to replace a hose that split within a week
It sucks doing the same job twice

Old 09-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
Two cents from a poorman, get quality rad hoses, I prefer Gates but that is me.

Then if this is an auto trans, be sure to get a couple of feet of trans cooler hose(must be rated for trans cooler use...fuel line WILL NOT WORK)...
Originally Posted by crispin
+1 on the trans lines
I bought fuel lines when i did mine and had to replace a hose that split within a week
It sucks doing the same job twice
Yep, get the right hoses. Reminds me of when I was 16 years old (a long time ago) and didn't have a lot of money. IIRC, I was trying to repair a leak in a some line with the wrong type of hose.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Unhappy Update on Denso availability

I ordered the Denso radiator but later they sent me an e-mail saying it's on back order probably available 9/9. I wonder if this is part of the Japanese fall out from the tsusami or if these cars are just that old?

Bob

Old 09-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I would say both are factors of finding this in stock...

Quick Reply: Replacement radiators