General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing lower ball joints today

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 02:17 AM
Default Replacing lower ball joints today

Hey all,
I'm replacing the lower ball joints today on my 1993Accord ex, trust me, they need to be replaced. Is there any advice or heads up before I do this job? I'm going to rent a ball joint press tomorrow, is there any other speical tools I should be getting? Also, i purchased the replacement ball joints from Honda recently and I noticed there wasn't any snapring with it. This just a design change in recent years?
Thanks.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Replacing lower ball joints today

I've found the following tool design (many sources for the same tool) to be veryhandy for separating the tie-rod, lower, and upper ball joints from their connecting parts. It may be a lot easier to repair the ball joint w/ the knuckle removed from the car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tool-...spagenameZWDVW

The BJ boot is replaceable, if the ball joint itself is serviceable.

The Autozone Front Wheel Drive special puller is very useful to press the axle shaft end from the wheel hub. Sometimes they are very difficult to remove due to rust.
http://www.autozone.com/in_our_store...e_axle_fwd.htm

good luck

Old 11-10-2007, 12:24 PM

thanks man. Yeah just having a problem getting a tool in there to push it out while at the same time not pushing it the other way. Little room to work with

Old 11-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

The adapters from the Autozone c-clamp tool will not work, because there is an indentation near the hub on the knuckle. You need an adapter that has a notch cut out so you can get that clamp on there.

The upper left adapter is what I am talking about in this pic: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46389

If you can find an adapter like that, then you should be able to press out the ball joint. I just removed my knuckle and took it to a shop. They guy charged me $25 to press it out with his better set of ball joint adapters.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:20 AM

I had to replace the lower ball joint on my daughter's 2.2CL due to a mistake (did not leave nut in place on stud) I made w/ the ball joint separator. Buggered threads prevented castellated nut from advancing, and could not hold stud to run die over threads.

So how to remove/install the lower ball joint?

My plan was to remove the knuckle and take to a local machine shop for help. They were too busy to do on Friday, so I decided to try myself before leaving w/ them on Monday if I couldn't do any good.

I remembered a comment by Chiovnidcato simply hammer it out and removed the boot to examine. There is a circular ring beneath the ball joint that provides a good driving surface. I found a 1" air impact socket fit this surface nicely while passing over the stud. I hit 3-4 hard licks w/ my 3-lb hammer and ball joint was released.

I thought I might install the same way since top of ball joint is designed for pressing in place. However, the knuckle shape prevents delivering a direct blow to the top of a driver resting on the ball joint.

I rented the ball joint press tool from local O'Riellys and rigged the fixed end on top of the ball joint started in the knuckle and pushing a large (2-3/8") socket over the lower drive bolt end of the ball joint press and against lower knuckle. I snugged the press to hold things in place anchored the knuckle in a vise to allow me to turn the press C-clamp bolt w/ a breaker bar. W/o a vise to restrain the knuckle, I don't think this is possible due to high torques to turn the press. Even w/ a fully lubed ball joint and knuckle receiver, it took 100-150 ft-lbs of torque to turn the ball joint press and install the ball joint. I did not try the steel tube receivers in the ball joint press since I had this large socket, but they may well have worked also.

I think Chiovnidcamethod works well for diy of local ball joints. I don't know if he did same thing I did or not, but this procedure is dead easy to remove the ball joint.

Regards

Old 11-18-2007, 02:40 PM

Yeah the autozone press doesn't work. My brother did it back when he had a 1993 Accord, he told me to be creative with those rings and other tools/objects around the garage. I ended up taking it to a shop, 15minute job for each side for them to press the old one out and new one in. Well worth the money if you ask me, replaced both and the steering feels like new now. Thanks everyone for input

Old 12-21-2007, 05:59 PM

Concerning the tie rod and ball joint lifter on eBay, is that the right size for a Honda? If I remember correctly, the manual calls for a 28mm and 32mm jaw, depending on whether it's for the lower or upper balljoint. Most of the lifters on eBay have smaller jaws. Has anyone found a lifter like that designed for (or is at least compatible with) a Honda?

Having a Harbor Freight just down the street, I may pick up that master ball joint adaptor kit. That's a great price.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:35 PM

The tool I linked above on ebay is the tool I have and it worked to separate upper and lower ball joints, and tie-rod ball joint. The jaw opens to well over 32 mm, closer to 45 mm at max width. Slot for stud is ~ 19mm width.

good luck

Old 03-29-2015, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I've found the following tool design (many sources for the same tool) to be veryhandy for separating the tie-rod, lower, and upper ball joints from their connecting parts. It may be a lot easier to repair the ball joint w/ the knuckle removed from the car.

Tool Aid Tie Rod End Ball Joint Lifter | eBay
Reviving an ancient thread here..

That ebay link is no longer good of course. Can you give a newer link to that tool that you like Texas?

[edit] Hey wait that link maybe does work after all. Interesting tool..

Last edited by scoostraw; 03-29-2015 at 06:22 PM.