General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing spark plugs: $200

Old 08-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Replacing spark plugs: $200

Am I insane or is $197 for replacing the spark plugs on my 2003 4cyl Honda accord an insane price from the dealer?

I havent repalced spark plugs in ages, not since my 1987 Chevy Blazer, but I dont recall it taking long or costing near that much...

Is that a "gravy" item for them, taking advantage of people who have no idea how to change a spark plug or is it really labor intensive?

Old 08-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

WOW! Yeah, that sounds like a gravy job.
I don't think the plugs themselvs are made of gold, so that leaves labor. I KNOW they're easy to change.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

WOW.. $ 197 ??? .. THAT IS HIGHWAY ROBBERY

plugs cost about $ 18 each,, labor should not be more than 1/2 hr ,,$ 50-60 dollars depending on their hourly rate ;;;

Save some money ,,buy the plugs and do it yourself ... Plugs ... ,NGK: IZFR6K11

Old 08-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

"Check Valve Clearance" was also included in that 197 cost

While I have friendly eyes and ears here, anyone know any reason why my 03 accords horn doesnt beep when I hit the lock button twice? It used to all the time, not it only does it about 30% of the time.

Horn functions fine otherwise and no doors are left open. The locks do, in fact, lock, just no beep confirmation upon the second pushing of the button.

Ive owned the car since it left the showroom floor and ALWAYS double-lock for the horn sound so I know I am doing it right.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:55 PM

if valve clearance is included, that means they are taking off the valve cover, which means replacing the valve cover gaskets, and the plug tube seals. still.. this is something you can easily do at home in 20 minutes.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:46 PM

You likely have a door/trunk/hood latch switch that is sticking. The car will only honk if all of the above are shut and the computer thinks one is open.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:15 PM

$197 for new plugs!! ROFL! Call the dealer and tell the to stick those plugs up their a$$es!! Spark plugs take like 2 minutes to do ROFL!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey thanks man! My Haynes manual said that you only have to check the valve clearance if your engine sounds like it needs the adjustment... soooo.... what sounds should i be listening for? Id rather just change the spark plugs and be fat-dumb-and happy

Old 08-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Valves will make a ticking sound that's easiest to hear at idle. Turn off all the AC & ventilation & any other noisemakers. The ticking sound would come from just underneath the valve cover.

Valves that are too loose make the ticking sound. Valves that are too tight can be silent, but can burn themselves because they don't close completely. My recommendation is check em anyway, but that's because I do that myself (don't have to pay a shop to do it).

Old 08-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ah, good times. At this point I will gladly pay Honda $200 to replace my spark plugs... I had to use two smaller extenders to get WAY down in that valve to get the spark plug... when I loosened it and tried to pull it out.. lovely, the spark plug socket stayed and the wrench came out. Its literally stuck down there and I assume I cant drive my car until I get it out. Yay. Next time Ill bit ethe bullet and let someone rip me off to do minor repair work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing spark plugs: $200