General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

revved up at 4th gear (auto)

Old 11-30-2007, 09:23 PM
xfold
Unregistered
Default revved up at 4th gear (auto)

i having a little problem with my car. its too accelerated at 4th gear(auto)[:@]. it neve did this before. once i did the tune up it did. i've always done my own tune ups and this the first time it's happend. other thing i did before it occured was i took out the gauges to replace the light bulbs. might of this caused this porblem?? what can the problem?? my engine is a 95 accord lx 4 door 4cyl non v-tech. please help!!!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Default RE: revved up at 4th gear (auto)

what do you mean, "it's too accelerated in 4th gear"? it's really powerful? there is no acceleration once 4th engages?

Old 12-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

rpm go high but car does not seem to move ??? tranny slipping ?? we need a bit more clarification to properly help you out

Old 12-02-2007, 02:40 AM
xfold
Unregistered

yup like i said its too accelerated at last gear. tranny not slipping, car still drives like it always has. when u go thru each gear it accelerates then goes down cuz the next gear hit.but does not go down in 4th gear

Old 12-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Xfold, I'm confused too. Are you saying that the engine/tranny will stay at high rpms while in fourth gear? Over what speed ranges does this happen?

I have never driven an accord with an automatic tranny, so I don't how the car accelerates when you are trying to get to high speeds.

One of the first things I would do is to change the transmission fluid and use honda ATF. Report back if you find a lot of metal shavings or if the fluid has a burnt smell.

There are two sets solenoids on the tranny that can get clogged up over time. The gasket for those has a screen that can get clogged up too. You might want to remove the solenoids/gaskets and make sure that they are clean.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: xfold

yup like i said its too accelerated at last gear. tranny not slipping, car still drives like it always has. when u go thru each gear it accelerates then goes down cuz the next gear hit.but does not go down in 4th gear
so you mean the engine rpm does not reduce when 4th gear engages? that means 4th is slipping (badly) or it's not engaging.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:41 PM
xfold
Unregistered

yes its stays high and accelerated. once it passes 60 it doesnt go down. thanks im going to change the trans fluid. it could be that its slipping but if it did wouldnt i not be able to go pass 80 or higher? when i open the hood i can hear a little sparking noise kind of lwhat a spark plug does. someone told me it might be a valve.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:32 PM

that 'sparking' noise can just be valve noise. honda doesn't use hydraulic valves, so there is usually always some valve noise. are you sure you are putting the are in D(or D4) and not D3 on accident?
while cruising about 60 if you shift to D3 what happens? anything?

Old 12-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

sounds to me like it never engages 4th gear and stays in 3rd gear.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Can you give us some crusing freeway speed and the RPM for reference?

yes its stays high and accelerated. once it passes 60 it doesnt go down.
How high is your RPM when the car is at 60mph? If it's around 2.75k then I think it's normal. Of course your rpm won't go down anymore at that speed because you don't have a higher gear to shift to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: revved up at 4th gear (auto)