General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Which is right...Dipstick or Owners Manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Default Which is right...Dipstick or Owners Manual

Hi folks,
I purchased my 2006 EX-L 4 cylinder used and recently changed the oil. I noticed that the owners manual states that the engine requires 4.4 US quarts of oil with the oil/filter change.

If I add this amount, the oil level is at the bottom of the dipstick...roughly the the lower of the two detents on the dipstick. Adding the remainder of the last quart; i.e. 5 quarts total brings it up to the upper dipstick detent.

Based on other's experience do I go by the dipstick or the owners manual.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you should alway go by the dipstick ,, assuming of course that it is the correct dipstick for the car
I have done hundreds and hundreds of oil changes and always put 4.4 qts ( 4 cyl engine ) and always been right on ,, was car on a leveled place when you checked it ?? a slight incline would give you false readings

Old 07-19-2009, 10:20 AM

DH,
I checked the DIY section and couldn't find anything specific to my question/concern.

The oil level was checked on a level surface and after the car hadn't been running for at least 20-30 minutes.

The visual in the owner's manual looks like the dipstick in the car. I guess it's always possible it is the wrong one.

Seems a strange one to me. I've been changing my own oil for over 35 years and have never had such a significant difference between spec and reality.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

My experience is that I need to add more oil but here's my thoughts...

I normally rotate tires as the oil is draining, by jacking up one corner at a time. I bet that results in more oil draining out, vs. the car staying level on a lift.

I'd always trust the dipstick not blindly adding some quantity.

Desert, do you know whether there are different-length dipsticks that "LOOK" the same? Is it very likely that the wrong one is installed? I mean, the dipstick from my 07 Civic looks COMPLETELY different and I bet it wouldn't even fit.