General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Road Noise

Old 03-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Default Road Noise

2010 EX-L V6 sedan (CT) On certain roads the road noise is really loud (at least to me). I've thought about installing Dynamat in the doors and/or on the sheet metal above the plastic in the wheel wells. Consumer Reports mentions road noise in all Honda vehicles.
Has anyone out there done any soundproofing ??
Suggestions?? Thanks much

Old 03-10-2011, 05:09 AM

Are the tires a good name brand and round. Im very serious about the round part. Have a tire shop look at em. also check hubs. ( wheel bearings )

Old 03-11-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Old Honda Dude
Are the tires a good name brand and round. Im very serious about the round part. Have a tire shop look at em. also check hubs. ( wheel bearings )
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the suggestion. Will check roundness at next oil change. As noted above this is a 2010, has only 9,000K miles, from what I remember the noise has not changed since new & is only objectionable on certain road surfaces.
Tires are orig. equipment Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 P225/50R17, which from a tire message board are not the quietest.

Last edited by mik34; 03-12-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:55 AM

I have a 2011 and the road noise on concrete highways is much louder than on asphalt roads.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:48 PM

Isn't that "Dynamat" stuff expensive? It would have to work miracles, and it would probably have to be applied to a lot of areas (fenderwells, doors, floorboard, maybe even firewall). I have a feeling that would not be cheap or easy. Most roads where I live are pretty good, so I haven't seriously considered it. It would be nice to know if anyone's had sucess doing it, and how much it cost them.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

An underbody coating may provide significant improvement at a reasonable price. Reduces vibration of thin parts.

good luck

Old 01-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Default similar problem with Road noise on 2005 2.4 ex

Hi, I've got the same problem with my (loud road noise) car which I've had about 3 months. It's OK up to about 70mph but I often travel at 90mph for long periods of time. It's a shame because it really spoils what is a very good and confortable car. I had it at the honda dealers to see if there was anything wrong but they said everything was OK. The conclusion is that the're just very noisy cars. I would be very interested if anybody has some tried and tested solutions.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:20 AM

I inquired about the noise at a local high quality body shop. The manager said that there wasn't much to be done about the noise since it seems to be because of the way the car is designed. He'd love to sell me $1,000 worth of sound proofing but he's VERY sure that the problem wouldn't be solved. Personally - I think I'm just irritated by the sound at that frequency. Friends riding with me don't notice it at all. The same noise in my Miata doesn't bother me at all. Guess I just expect a quieter car at $27k.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:37 AM
Default Road noise

My previous cars have been an Alfa 156, Jag S type, BMW 318. My son always uses his DVD player in the back on long journeys. In the Honda he can't hear the sound through his head phones properly because the road noise is too intrusive. Yet all three previous cars were OK, Honda definately saved money on the NVH at the design phase. The BMW was the most quiet by far but unreliable; lots of well know and documented components keep falling over, the press never mention it but if you speak to any mechanic they will tell you straight away, that and forums.

At least not a single thing has gone wrong with the Honda yet which is a better record than any other car I've had, also the seats actually go back far enough for my legs which no other car has managed, so very comfortable.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

How's the tires? What if this is tire-tread noise?

Rear wheel bearings can start making noise very gradually, and it can sound like road-noise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road Noise