General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof buckling after hitting a curb...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Gonzo1124
Unregistered
Default Roof buckling after hitting a curb...

Acouple of days ago, I had the unfortunate event ofhitting a curb pretty hard with my passenger side tireswhile doing about 25 mphon my 2006 Honda Accord EX.
I had to swerve in order to avoid getting hit by a truck coming the opposite way on a narrow brick road. Unfortunately, the concrete curb was square,about 6" highand I hit it dead on.
In addition to ruining both wheels and tires, (the tires exploded after being cut by the rims), I'm sure there is some suspension damage. However, the weirdest thing that happenedis that roof buckled on the four corners right next tothe sunroof.
My insurance adjuster indicates never seen this before and is asking me if my roof was damaged before. I know that is not the case, because I had just finished washing the car and I would have certainly noticed this. I'm very picky about my cars.
Hasanyone here heard of anything like this happening before?
Thanks for your help.
Gonzo1124

Old 10-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Roof buckling after hitting a curb...

Gonzo...that's sick..just like your insurance adjuster said that he's never seen anything like that ..nor have I !

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 10-17-2007, 06:31 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

x3

Old 10-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Gonzo1124
Unregistered

Upon doing a search last night on the web, I found this message from the Acura TSX forum indicating the same problem I had. This is scary, considering that I hit a curb at only 25 mph, but I guess better than the option of hitting the truck coming right at me!

Acura TSX Community > AcuraZine TSX Community > Acura TSX Discussion > Problems & Fixes > hit a curb; need advice
Bass Mechanic
11-23-2003, 6:14 PM
Originally posted by algorithm
When trying to avoid a collision with another car in a parking lot, my TSX hit a (relatively high) curb. From the right side, it looks like the picture attached.

The paint is scrached badly underneath. Fortunately, both the rightside doors and the rims of the wheels were not affected.

Now I'd like to replace it rather than repaint it since this car has only 2,000 miles on it. The first question is: is this possible? The second question is: will Acura dealers do it without outsourcing to ourside bodyshops? Overall, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks very much!

http://enterprise.tbcommerce.com/~wcn/curbed1.jpg

eekk! unfortunatly my car was involved in an accident recently i didnt post here i felt too bad abou tit after it happend.
i hit a curb just like you and for the same reason. my car was in the shop a month.
better look at your roof around the sunroof opening. my whole roof had to be replaced because the car flexed slightly and caused the roof to wrinkle around the opening in 3 corners.
[/i]

i bent the lower control arm and damaged the lower subframe. also wasted 3 wheels
it doesnt sound like your car is that bad off by comparason. but they can get the parts if that is what your asking. $10,000 later my car is as good as the day i bought it. and i also had 2,000 miles on the clock when my accident happend.
good luck to you.

[hr]
[/align]

Old 10-17-2007, 09:28 AM

I have never seen this either. And I AM an insurance adjuster. However, I do not doubt it could happen. You would be surprised at the levels of force involved at a collision at 25 MPH or even slower.
Make SURE you tell your adjuster that damage was NOT there before you hit the curb. The insurance company should pay for the repairs, less whatever your collision deductible is.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:58 PM

do you have photos of the car recently prior to the wreck? that may help your case.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:53 PM

I had a similar problem last winter sliding into a curb. The only visible damage was the bent steel wheel, which I replaced the next day for $35 and tire irons. I took it to get aligned and it drove fine for a while, took it to a reputable shop (not TiresPlus haha) and was told that he couldn't even align that wheel. He quoted me $600-700 for parts and labor and I did it myself for $176. Class is over, I'll write more later. On another note, smaglik isn't going to like that last comment.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: finch13
Class is over, I'll write more later. On another note, smaglik isn't going to like that last comment.
ROFLMFAO!!!!!!

Old 10-17-2007, 02:56 PM

nice. congrats, you earned your F!

haha

Old 10-17-2007, 03:54 PM

Haha. Meh, it was Engineering Orientation 101 the biggest waste of my time. Otherwise I usually don't bring my laptop to class.

Quick Reply: Roof buckling after hitting a curb...