General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rotor Over Hub Conversion,Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Default Rotor Over Hub Conversion,Questions.

I have read the sticky DIY rotor over hub conversion.I have also read a few topics elsewhere about it.

That said,I wanted to know if anyone knows what is the difference between the 96 Honda Vtec Ex Front hub and the 98 Acura CL?I know the Honda is machined for the behind the hub rotor conversion,but can it not accept a rotor from the front?

Since both cars exchange basically all the front brake,knuckle,etc parts,except hub and rotor,I got to looking and wondering why one could not use the Accord hub? All things being equal to bolt up the brakes,wheels etc,are those hubs really that different?Is it the studs?Longer one can easily be pressed in.Is it the 2 holes for the 2 screws? Those are not that important.If you know what the main differences are,aside from one is drilled for a behind the hub,why cant we modify or use the stock hub from the Honda?

Thank you.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:58 PM

I will also get a 98 Acura CL rotor from the parts store tomorrow,and see if I can use it or not.But in the meantime,if anyone knows for sure if we cannot use the accord hub in any way,I would like to know.Thanks.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:15 AM

How is it that you're asking that question after reading the sticky ? It's the hub that determines if the rotor is in the front or the back. The accord hub will have the rotor behind it. This is the purpose of the conversion to put the hub behind the rotor.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
How is it that you're asking that question after reading the sticky ? It's the hub that determines if the rotor is in the front or the back. The accord hub will have the rotor behind it. This is the purpose of the conversion to put the hub behind the rotor.
The sticky does not say why one cannot use the accord hub and slip a cl rotor over it.I am trying to find out what the differences are between the two hubs and see if one can use it.Keep in mind,the rotor for the accord is designed to slip on from behind and bolt on,and a cl rotor is designed to slip over the front studs.If you lay them down side by side,the cl rotor has a higher center to place the rotor further back over the hub.

Since the calipers,pads,rear bearings,knuckles,wheel stud placement are all the same,I'm wondering if one can simply slip a cl rotor onto the accord hub or if the thickness and machining of the two hubs are really that different.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

If you bolted the CL rotor on the accord hub, the caliper bracket will not fit over the rotor.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
If you bolted the CL rotor on the accord hub, the caliper bracket will not fit over the rotor.
Thanks. Do you know why the hub causes this? Is it the thickness or height of the hub?

Old 07-06-2013, 12:42 PM

I did a brake job(replaced pads and rotors) under warranty,and got a good look at the accord hub.I can visually see that it cannot be used because its is too large to slip a rotor over,and thicker.

While I am able to get my rotors off in just a few minutes,I still want to do the conversion.I take the knuckle off each time to replace the rotors on the workbench but those suckers are heavy,and it seems the parts Im getting dont last more than a year or so at times.My fault for using dura last parts but the warranty is tough to beat.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok guys ive been looking and everything i find keeps my head pounding...
the 98cl hub part # 44600-ys8-a00
always comes up for the rear.. everything thing hub related is for the rear?

are the cl rear hubs the same as the front... i have looked and looked.. but cant seem to find the front hubs for my 92 accord (btw)

i can find the pars for everything else... but no front hubs unless the rears are same as front ?? please reply soon.. my brakes are fried!!!!!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies

noone can answer?? please help

Old 08-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by drifterz73
Ok guys ive been looking and everything i find keeps my head pounding...
the 98cl hub part # 44600-ys8-a00
always comes up for the rear.. everything thing hub related is for the rear?

are the cl rear hubs the same as the front... i have looked and looked.. but cant seem to find the front hubs for my 92 accord (btw)

i can find the pars for everything else... but no front hubs unless the rears are same as front ?? please reply soon.. my brakes are fried!!!!!
Honda part number 44600-YS8-A00 shows them to be for the front. Google search readily show it at various Honda and Acura dealer sites.

Here's another thread with info. regarding the rotor over hub conversion.
DIY - Rotor Over Hub Conversion - Honda-Tech

Quick Reply: Rotor Over Hub Conversion,Questions.