General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor Replacement Question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Question Rotor Replacement Question...

(93 Accord LX 2.2l non vtech)

So my front rotors need some replacing, but multiple people are telling me that when rotors are replaced on this car, the bearings and bushings need to be replaced as well. Not sure if this is true or not. I am replacing the wheel studs along with the rotors but I need to now what usually gets replaced along with rotors during a rotor job, if anything actually does need to be replaced. Anything else I need to know about replacing, if anything actually does not to leave with the old rotors?

Old 08-06-2013, 02:14 PM

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum didn't realize I was here when I posted it xP

Old 08-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

I moved your thread for you.

They are captive rotors on your car. There is no need to replace the wheel bearing, unless it is bad or it gets damaged during the rotor removal. Generally, it is just more effort to remove the old rotor.

This video for the 5th gen Accord is similar to your 4th gen Accord.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the video .

I know crappy rotors can eat up your brake pads, but can it really do any other damage? I know the can knock your wheels out of alignment, but is it possible that warped rotors can damage calipers, brake lines, and other brake related parts as well as non brake related parts?

I am going to replace to the pads anyway since they have uneven wear from the rotors, these are just some questions I mustered up out of curiosity.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Other brake related parts should be inspected and replace if necessary. Rust/corrosion, leaking seals, etc. would be the principal cause if other parts needed replacement; not really due to warped rotors.

Brake fluid should be changed periodically, caliper slide pins re-greased/lubed, etc.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:02 PM

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for answering my questions! There's quite a bit of rust under there unfortunately that's how I bought it, but it doesn't seem to really be troublesome. Parts are still moving without any trouble and are easy to repair and replace, and everything seems to be functioning well even with rust. Maybe replace calipers anyway to be on the safe side while I'm in there?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

How old are the rotors? What brand? Are they chewed up or just warped?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
How old are the rotors? What brand? Are they chewed up or just warped?
Sorry for the late reply again, I sometimes forgot about my post on here...
Anyways.

I bought the car of the only and original owner 6 months ago, and he has since passed away. I believe the rotors are the same ones that have been on the car since he bought it new off the lot those many years ago.

They don't seem to be chewed up, just terribly warped. The driver's side is much worse than the pass side though both are warped. The driver's side is so warped it almost feels like the caliper is stuck, but is not. I haven't been driving it since I discovered this, waiting on the parts to come in the mail currently. Not sure if I need/should replace the calipers though.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Try cleaning and greasing the caliper slide pins with some silicone based brake grease first, as it may take care of the calipers.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Try cleaning and greasing the caliper slide pins with some silicone based brake grease first, as it may take care of the calipers.
Will try. Like I said, they seem fine, but I'm learning with these 90's cars to never assume when it comes to parts working ha.

Quick Reply: Rotor Replacement Question...