General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rough Idle ... Check Engine Light On

Old 01-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Unregistered
Default Rough Idle ... Check Engine Light On

Alright... my 94 EX 5-spd just recently started Idling really low and has been shaking pretty bad.. not hopping or anything.. just shaky... The Engine light comes on and stays on for about 10 mins after I start up and when the car is warm it idles low and feels like its gonna shut off and shakes.... as for the shaking I would think it is a motor mount .. . would this possibly fix the idle?? Also I would like to check the ECU... how do I do that??

Old 01-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Rough Idle ... Check Engine Light On

Time to go dash diving and find out what code is stored; link below
Iwouldn't go throwing motor mounts at the car until the idle problem is resolved.
http://members.troublecodes.net/hond...ice%20conn.jpg

Old 01-07-2007, 08:08 PM

yeah motor mounts should be way down on the list at this point, check your EGR valve, check your ignition compnents, your fast idle control valve may need tightening, clogged fuel filter, that should give you a good simple start to figure out whats going on. if you get the idle problem fixed and its still vibrating then you graduate to checking motor mounts.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:47 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the first thing you need to do is read the code ( s ) and post it ( them ) here ,,, at this time forget about checking this or that ,, GET the code first

Old 01-08-2007, 08:40 PM

i've been having an almost identical problem.. my check engine light was on for about a week, then one day on my way home from work my car was idling really rough when i'd stop, and when i was driving the check engine light would flash. i went straight to autozone to have them check the code, but the guy there couldn't find the plug to hook it to the computer thing.. i didn't know where it was either. i bought new spark plugs (cheapest thing to try at the moment) and noticed oil on the old plugs.. they were pretty wet. I changed the valve cover gasket and upper rings the other day and it doesn't idle AS rough to where it seems like it'd just shut off in traffic.. but after a few minutes it will still idle rough and shake a little. I just replaced the EGR valve recently with an oil change.. now the spark plugs are perfectly dry also. How can I find the plug to get the code? (before i start checking this and that)

Old 01-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Behind the ashtray there is an OBD2 plug in
Threadjacker

Old 01-09-2007, 06:52 PM

wow i feel dumb..lol.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:59 PM

*ROFL* I can just hear Red off "That 70's Show" saying "Threadjacker" instead of his more notable "Dumb @$$".... that's funny let us know what the code is either way..... *L* that's great....

Old 01-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Unregistered

Alright. I'll get right to it... Been busy this week at work...... Is the connector a different one for checking the ABS, or the same?

Old 01-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

BLUE 2 pin connector
HERE IS A 'LINK' to help you;
http://members.troublecodes.net/hond...ice%20conn.jpg
if you move the mouse pointer over the 'link' and leftclick a nice picture will appear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rough Idle ... Check Engine Light On