General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle on my 97 SE

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Default Rough idle on my 97 SE

My 97 SE has 64k on it and when its in drive or reverse with my foot on the brake it shakes like crazy. the idle is bad until i bring it past 600rpm. the car recently had a tune up by the previous owner but he used aftermarket parts. is this a common problem or am i looking over something?

Old 03-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Rough idle on my 97 SE

i bet if anything you have one of more bad motor mounts......do you have the check engine light on right now?

Old 03-08-2006, 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: lightshow

i bet if anything you have one of more bad motor mounts......do you have the check engine light on right now?
no CEL, i did just go outisde and rev to motor a bit. seems like the front mount could be bad. this is a common problem? i only have 64k on this car.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:15 PM

it depends on how you drive it, and the weather that the car is subjected to, but yes they can easily go out at 64 thousand. more importantly they can easily go out after 8 years.....its just a piece of rubber

Old 03-08-2006, 10:22 PM

ok, well ill start with the front one. and see what happens from there, the 2 side ones seem pretty good. are there any more than that? is there a rear mount? i cant see anything from on top.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:00 PM

yea there is a rear one that is hydrolic

Old 03-09-2006, 07:51 PM

ORIGINAL: lightshow

yea there is a rear one that is hydrolic
yeah i noticed that today. im going to start by replacing the front one first. i have to do the timing belt, balance shaft belt, and waterpump job soon, so ill check it out even further then.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:24 AM

im wondering if my IACV could be on its way out?

Old 03-20-2006, 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Markus26

My 97 SE has 64k on it and when its in drive or reverse with my foot on the brake it shakes like crazy. the idle is bad until i bring it past 600rpm. the car recently had a tune up by the previous owner but he used aftermarket parts. is this a common problem or am i looking over something?

First off, chk the plugs make sure they are ngk,,make sure timing is correct ,,,,,secondly, what is the idle speed set at?? sounds like it is set too low,, make sure it is at around 750 rpm.. also you could have a dirty throttle body, remove the hose to the throttle body, open up the butterfly and chk to see if it dirty in there.....get some carb cleaner and a rag and clean it, also remove the idle adjuster screw and spray carb cleaner in the hole and clean the screw as well, put all together, reset idle at 750 rpm

Old 03-20-2006, 11:25 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

ORIGINAL: Markus26

First off, chk the plugs make sure they are ngk,,make sure timing is correct ,,,,,secondly, what is the idle speed set at?? sounds like it is set too low,, make sure it is at around 750 rpm.. also you could have a dirty throttle body, remove the hose to the throttle body, open up the butterfly and chk to see if it dirty in there.....get some carb cleaner and a rag and clean it, also remove the idle adjuster screw and spray carb cleaner in the hole and clean the screw as well, put all together, reset idle at 750 rpm

im gonna do that to my car

Quick Reply: Rough idle on my 97 SE