General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rust: Under Windshield base, 2000 Accord EX Coupe

Old 09-29-2014, 05:38 PM
Default Rust: Under Windshield base, 2000 Accord EX Coupe

I'm new to this forum and fighting an uphill battle with an insurance company. I am hoping for insight and experience sharing with anyone who has had this issue or can speak to it.

In 2010 my windshield was replaced following a crack from a rock on the road being kicked up.

In 2014, a couple of weeks ago, my windshield cracked from its base. Upon evaluation it turns out the entire pinchweld/upper cowl assembly area has rusted entirely out - as in disintegrated. This required a $2000 parts/repair body shop job.

I filed a claim with the glass replacement company which was badly reviewed by the shops insurer and denied. I'm considering filing with my insurance company and/or taking the company to small claims court.

In 2010, during the windshield replacement, the area now rusted into disintegration was not at all rusty - as in none. In the intervening years, twice the windshield moldings (once each side) flapped out and they had to come put them back in.

I live in a salt air environment. That said, the body of my car is rust free and maintained in like-new condition. The engine is similarly in like new condition, still beating the manufacturers fuel efficiency ratings on road trips. It purrs and goes.

I believe something went wrong during the installation that allowed water to intrude to the area at the base of the windshield causing pooling and rusting to the point of disintegration. Again, this area did not suffer from a rust spot, or a string of rusty spots - it disintegrated from rust across its length and breadth. I have had the car, in this same environment, since it was new. And, in 2010 when the windshield was replaced, the area was pristine.

Anyone out there with insights or help or advice ... or anything?

Thanks!

Cathy

Old 09-29-2014, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

When the old butyl rubber adhesive sealant is removed they use sharp tools heated w/ a torch to cut out the old sealant. It is likely that scratched and gouges to the painted surface underneath the sealant occurs during this process. Corrosion could be the result.

In principle the new butyl rubber sealant should cover all the scratches/gouges, but this might not be the case always.

This is one of those occasions where right is difficult to prove and you may be better off cutting your losses and moving on.

good luck

Old 09-30-2014, 12:24 AM
Administrator

I agree with TH above.. sorry to see your plight in the forums.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:51 AM

This was a Safelite contractor - the replacement was done in my driveway - no torches or heat. The windshield moldings had to be re-seated a couple of times since the replacement also, which I took as evidence of there having been some problem during installation and certainly that the faulty molding seatings would have allowed water intrusion. The entire area, length and breadth, is gone - disintegrated - not a rust spot or rust spots, just literally gone.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The moulding covers gap between window edge and frame as a trim covering. It has no function related to water sealing.

As I said it is likely damage occurred during windshield removal, however w/o pictures or evidence I don't see how you can say it was the installers problem. The original body paint and window installation may have caused damage also.

good luck