General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on changing MTF

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Default School me on changing MTF

Just bought my 5 spd 96 Accord Ex Coupe last week. Lovin it!! My only point of reference for M-shifting is my last car, 88 MAzda 626. I feel like the Accord should be shifting much smoother. So, I searched this site for solutions and found a slew of threads regarding draining and filling MTF. I also found that there were many opinions on what to use. Honda MTF, Redline, Motor Oil 10w30, Synchromesh. I'm thinking of getting the Honda MTF just to be safe. So. How do I make the change. I read that the process is like changing oil. Can someone describe how to do this step by step so that I do it correctly. I realize that this is basic, but I'm trying get into the DIY habit. Thanks as always

Old 12-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Default RE: School me on changing MTF

no problem man.... towards the bottom of the tranny on the passenger side you'll see a bolt of sorts, a 3/8" drive should fit in there just fine (that's the average size socket drive, not the big one) put a socket in there, twist it out, then towards the top of the transmission there is a bolt that faces the firewall (about 3/4 of the way up) it's a 17 or 19mm if memory serves.... remove that bolt, let everything finish draining out, replace the bottom bolt and get yourself a nice funnel, fill it up by using that upper bolt hole, you want the fluid to be level with the bottom of the bolt hole (approx 3 quarts I believe....), once the fluid level is up to that lower point, replace the bolt and wallah! you're done!

Old 12-21-2006, 02:57 PM

Great!! I'll have to take a looksee under the hood, but is this something I can do from top and/or without lifts. If so, it's just a matter of putting a pan underneath to catch the fluid, no? Thanks for the setp by step details!!

Old 12-21-2006, 03:11 PM

it's pretty easy to do without a jack or lifts (as long as you haven't lowered your car of course)...

Old 12-21-2006, 03:28 PM

Great!! Now to get the Honda MTF!! I'll let you know how this goes. Much appreciated!!

Old 01-16-2007, 04:27 PM

Okay.. So it's been a few weeks, but I finally rolled over to the Honda Dealership and got the MTF. Hopefully, I'l do change the fluid out this week-end. I can't wait!!. So Once I empty the tank, will there still be older Trans fluid lingering elsewhere, or is it once the tank is empty..that's it. Just ad the new stuff?

oh...and what's the difference between flushing and draing out the MTF?

Thanks!!

Old 01-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Flushing is done on auto trans, because on the auto trans you can't drain and refill the Torque Converter. They hook up a pressurized system to the cooler lines that go to the radiator, and push the new fluid in and the old fluid out.
You can't flush the manual trans because there are no cooler lines. When you drain out the fluid there might be 1/2 cup left in there. no big deal.
FWIW the fill plug is above the passenger side axle inner CV joint;17mm nut with a big base.
Refill till the fluid drizzles out the fill hole. A long funnel with a piece of hose on the end of it is the best way to fill the trans, you can then reach over from the top and thread the fill plug back in to the transstop the drizzle. Then go over and push the button and raise the lift up and walk under the car to tighten the fill and drain plugs up and spray it all down with some brake cleaner to be sure you don't have anyleaks.
Trust me; if the customer drives home and finds one little drop of oil on their garage floor, they will call your service manager and raise hell.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

You may want to find the fill plug & get it loose before opening the drain plug.

I almost did that on one of my former cars (non-honda). Glad I checked because the fill plug was seized so bad I couldn't get it out at all using normal tools.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:34 PM

Okay. Thanks. FYI, I don't have a lift and will be doing this outside this week-end in my parking spot. (I live downtown Philly). Sir-Nasty mentioned this was something I could do from the top...under the hood.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:15 PM

You're going to have to get underneath a little bit to remove the drain plug but it's easily accessible, just turn your tires all the way to the left and set the parking brake, you'll wind up on the ground to remove it but it shouldn't be hard to do.

Quick Reply: School me on changing MTF