General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on..... the Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Default School me on..... the Sway Bar

What exactly does the sway bar do. My car is making the chang chang sound from beneath. A few have mention the lack of sway bar bushings are the reason. What are they? Where exactly are they? (I've seen diagrams, but with no context) Can I fix this without a lift. All insight is helpful

thanks

Old 05-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: School me on..... the Sway Bar

It's more correct to call it an 'anti-roll' bar. It gives the car roll-stiffness. Technically, 'sway' is a completely different type of motion from roll.

Think of it as a spring that acts on the DIFFERENCE between right & left wheel positions. Without it, the car will lean more when turning.

When the car leans towards the outside of a turn, the outside suspension compresses while the inside suspension extends. The 'sway' bar resists that.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Easier to see it on the rear, but the idea is the same on both axles.

Sway bar is #8, it's held in place by brackets (#10) with rubber bushings (#14). Left by itself, it would be able to pivot freely up & down.

The end links (#9) are attached to each wheel. Notice how eachendof the sway baracts like a lever. When you go over a flat bump, both sides move up & down in unison, and the sway bar doesn't do much.

When the car wants to lean in a corner, those links pull up on one side & down on the other. That twists the middle of the sway bar, & the bar resists this like a torsionspring.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:34 PM

Great Reply. I think I have the concept of the sway bar now. As for replacing the bushings. Is that something I can do without a lift. Without air compression tools?

Old 05-22-2007, 03:12 PM

you can do it with a socket set... if you need extra clearance just use your spare tire jack.... look up energy suspension bushings (polyeurethane) and see if they are the same price or perhaps even a little cheaper than stock, they work better....

Old 05-23-2007, 08:29 AM

will do, thanks

Old 05-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

you can do it with a socket set... if you need extra clearance just use your spare tire jack.... look up energy suspension bushings (polyeurethane) and see if they are the same price or perhaps even a little cheaper than stock, they work better....
Probably NOT a good idea to get underneath the car with that jack!!!

The bushings can usually be removed easily, but I can't say the wrench positions are easy or hard on any random year...

Old 05-23-2007, 10:22 AM

How bout on the ramps?

Old 05-23-2007, 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: maro

Great Reply. I think I have the concept of the sway bar now. As for replacing the bushings. Is that something I can do without a lift. Without air compression tools?
i just did mine in my driveway. the air tools certainly helped, but could have done it w/out them. the cost to replace both sides was ~$35 using TRW parts w/ standard rubber bushings. took me ~30 minutes.

do yourself a favor & buy a haynes manual for your car. they go into pretty good detail on how to R&R most of this kind of stuff; & they do it from a novice point of view. it's certainly helped me!

Old 05-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: maro

How bout on the ramps?
Ramps are good. Make sure they're straight, not ready to topple, before getting underneath. I usually grab the bumper & shake as hard as I can. If it's gonna fall off the jack or ramp, I want that to happen without me underneath.

Quick Reply: School me on..... the Sway Bar