General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

screeeeeeeeeach

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default screeeeeeeeeach

so basically ever since winter rolled around and ive had to cold start my car every morning, whenever I cold start it it makes a BEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWAP sound for about a second. I turn the key, it cranks (takes a few seconds to start) and while its cranking no sound is made. About 1/2 second after the car is started it will make the screeching sound (not belt squeal or alternator bearings) and it will last for about a second then go away.
It ONLY goes off when the car has been sittin almost overnight in the cold, making the sound very hard to pinpoint. Its not blood-curdling, it sounds like more of a whine than a squeal really.
Its definetly coming from the engine bay.

Im leaning toward it being the power steering pump, simply because ive read other threads that have had the same problem and it turned out to be just the power steering pump being starved for fluid for a few seconds.

Just making sure im not setting myself up for a major catastrophe.

and dont worry, i realize its very hard to diagnose a sound over the internet.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: screeeeeeeeeach

video FTW

Old 01-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Default RE: screeeeeeeeeach

I wouldn't be suprised if it was belt squeel.... Depending on how cold it is there I have a similar issue with my Lexus since the temps have dropped (about 1-5 degrees in the morning...) the belt is hard from basically freezing but the quick friction warms it and it quickly gains grip... Is there any way you can have someone start the car in the morning and pop the hood so you can listen to pin point it?