General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Seafoam Treatment on 2006 Honda Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Default Seafoam Treatment on 2006 Honda Accord?

I'm trying to see what the overall consensus is with applying seafoam motor treatment to my 2006 Honda Accord. It's currently sitting at 106k and I'm due for an oil change. I've been told seafoam treatment on a newer Honda is not necessary.

Also, looking to see if anyone has or knows of a good DIY guide on my Accord which has a VTEC engine.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:15 AM

If your car has been properly maintained then any of these "engine treatments" is totally unnecessary. I have been in the automotive industry for decades including overseeing several service departments at automotive dealerships at one time. Proper oil changes, routine maintenance (all fluids changed at specified intervals or sooner) filters, etc, done in a timely manner will result in years of trouble free service. Of course automobiles being machinery will have parts that simply wear out. I have not worked at a Honda dealership but have managed a Toyota service department and would see many customers with cars over 200K miles of trouble free service.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:16 AM

Also if you can't get your hands on a factory service manual then Alldata DIY seems to be a good source.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Seafoam = waste of money (IMHO)

Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe if you had some actual reason to think your injectors or fuel system are gunked up?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:40 PM

I think my car is fine and I've treated it with as much maintenance as possible; however, I'm not too sure of the previous owners. I bought it as a used car. From the looks of it, if I don't suspect anything too much out of the ordinary, I should not be bothering with the motor treatment solution. I am taking my car to an oil change and having them check everything else, I don't think there will be much other than the usual alignment recommendation. I'll see tomorrow what happens. Thanks all. I'll lay low on this then.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:07 PM

Seafoam is a great product. Highly recommend it. place 1/4 to 1/2 can down a full gas tank and your car will run smoother and your jets will clean too.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think we're saying it's a bad product. Just that its not NECESSARY for a majority of cars. Fuel isn't as dirty as it was 30 years ago, so fuel systems don't gunk up like they did back in the day.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fvansan
Seafoam is a great product. Highly recommend it. place 1/4 to 1/2 can down a full gas tank and your car will run smoother and your jets will clean too.
I'll lay odds that not one in ten-thousand cars treated with Seafoam realize any benefit. Any improvement in "smoothness" is strictly in the mind of the person who spent the money for the treatment.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 PM

I suggest using a good quality detergent gas (top tier), so there aren't any deposits left in the fuel system in the first place. If you are using cheap, crappy gas, then spend money on fuel system cleaners, what are you saving?

Quick Reply: Seafoam Treatment on 2006 Honda Accord?