General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sealing the valve cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Default sealing the valve cover gasket

I hate to switch topics here in an older thread, but is there a method to get a leak free gasket for the valve cover. My manual noted that I should use adhesive (honda bond) in two trasition points on the driver's side of the cover. A new gasket and some hondabond didn't seem to do it for me. Should I use hondabond on the new gasket along the entire length? Any tips or procedures to get this gasket leak free would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

After being sure the "edge" of the head is clean, I've always added a thin layer on both ends. Where the cam "hump" transitions to the flat...then only about 9 ft lbs ("fairly snug" with a 1/4 ratchet) to hold the cover down.

Where is it leaking from?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:05 AM

I did put the hondabond only by the corners of the cam hump. The leak appears to be almost entirely in that area. there is oil on the block below the cam gear on both sides and even some oil on the timing cover along the top. Yesterday i noticed what appears to be a minor leak on the passenger side of the cover toward the rear of the car. There is some kind of solenoid there attached to the head with three fasteners. The wire that is below it was wet with oil and it appears to have travelled up the wire and saturated the small connector behind the distributor. Very strange. Maybe an air current has helped oil travel there. Nothing below the wire or the connector appeared to have any oil on it.

So you would suggest applying the hondabond only to the cover and head where the transition takes place and leave the rest of the gasket "dry"

Old 12-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

I moved these out to their own thread since the topic is so much different from where you posted it.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

The three bolt thing is the vtec solenoid, actually two o-ring in the assy....one to the head, another one where the "top" bolts to the base.

Again, I've always been able to clean the head surface-carb cleaner (or something) sprayed on a rag and wipe. Then apply hondabond (or your favorite) to the cam end "humps"-close attention to the transition from the flat to the hump....

Old 12-02-2011, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a picture of the head & the VTEC spool valve.

There's oil throught that thing (within the #9 box). So maybe replacing the gaskets in there is the fix. Not much room to swing a wrench, but if you can remove the spool valve from the head then replace that gasket #10.

If you can't get at that, at least replace the top gasket #12.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:26 PM

After taking off the valve cover, it looks like the oil leak may be coming from the part of the cover on the timing belt side that is outside the seal. Is this most likely the camshaft seal that has gone bad? Is that difficult to change?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Not too bad, if you are good...it can be changed without pulling the lower cover

EDIT: There might be something in the Common DIY Threads from Deserthonda on how to do this...if not, do a search.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:16 AM

I already know the answer to this question, but I thought I would ask to see if I get any difference of opinion. The timing belt and balance shaft belt are genuine honda and have about 40K miles on them. The timing belt looks fine, but I have to assume that oil has gotten on the belt. I see some residue on the sprockets.

I was going to replace the cam seal and attempt to keep the same timing/balancer belt on and clean it with some degreaser, as well as the whole timing belt area. Will this shorten the life of the belt to such an extent that I should replace it now? I know what common opinion says, but I am trying to push off that larger job for another 20K. Car has been driven very easily to this point.

Thanks..

Old 12-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't spray the cleaner on the belt(s).........replace the seal.

Quick Reply: sealing the valve cover gasket