General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Searching for BRAND NEW OEM A/C compressor for 1987 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Default Searching for BRAND NEW OEM A/C compressor for 1987 Accord

Hi, and thanks for letting me join this Forum. Since I am new here, please advise me if this question is okay in this section, or should it be posted somewhere else on the site.

I am seeking a BRAND NEW OEM A/C compressor for my 1987 Honda Accord, 4 cylinder. I do NOT want an aftermarket, rebuilt, or any other knock-off version of this compression, only the genuine article, new and not remanufactured.

Honda stopped making them years ago, of course, but there appear to be a few floating around.

I confirmed the part with a local dealer as Honda OEM part # 38810-PH1N91. There are several other versions of this compressor, but that one was tracked through the VIN.

VIN for this vehicle is JHMCA5635HC044206.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help with this.

Thanks Again, Scott.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Denso makes the a/c compressor, so you can go to densoaftermarket.com to find the compressor. 417-1201 looks like the Denso part number for you car.

You can go to hondapartsnow.com and enter the OEM part number to search. It looks like you can add the honda compressor to your cart.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Default thanks for your response: I'll check it out

Thank you for writing back. I will def check these links out. However, there were three possible sub-suppliers for this unit in that model year, and my local Honda-only mechanic, a very reliable and honest guy, tells me this unit is a Mits-manufactured unit, not a Denso. It is possible, though, that Denso makes the same part # in that year.

Thanks, and I'll let you know.

Best,
Scott M.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Since I'm not sure what model you have(LXi, LX, etc), go to the hondapartsnow.com website and look up the a.c compressor for your car. That part number you posted was referenced under the Denso compressor.

Mitsuba makes starters, but I never read about them making a/c compressors. I definitely could be wrong about that.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Default thanks again

OK I'll check it out and let you know by tomorrows. Thanks! SM.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

If memory serves me there are two compressors used in the 3rd gens....Denso and Keihin (spelling?). If you post a pic I can tell you which it is. If you take a pic looking down at the top that will do. The ac lines are different as they connect differently.

Last edited by poorman212; 04-05-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Default Dear Poorman:

Hi, and thanks for your response. I will send the pic, if necessary. At this point, I have located a brand-new sealed unit at a dealership on the East Coast (I'm in CA), but he wants $450.00 for it. I've also found one on the Internet from an international seller for a much lower price, but am trying to confirm the part #. Thanks, and I will let you know in a day or two. Appreciate your time and response.

Scott

Old 04-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

....trust me the 3rd gens came with two ac compressors. There is a difference on how the ac lines run and connect. Be sure you are getting the same replacement, if not be prepared for "adjusting" things to make it work. Now if you used the VIN to verify the OE style then you should be good to go.

Personal experience with the 3rd gen's.....the Kehin (spelling ?) are junk and very hard to find replacements. If you have this, go for the Sanden and change the lines....then REALLY think about going to 134a.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Default poorman, thanks again, but....

I appreciate your input; however, I have used these other brands of compressors on an older Civic and my experience is that they are junk. I refuse to use any of them, unless there are simply no legitimate new OE compressors out there. In fact, I would prob rather go with a clean used unit from a salvage yard than those off-brand rebuilds. As a last resort, I will pay full retail for the unit from the East Coast.

Thank you, though. It's good input nonetheless. This '87 Accord only has 207,000 on it, so I'm pushing for 300,000. Over the life of the vehicle, a new OE A/C compressor is still worth the investment.

I hope to know more in a day or two.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 04-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Default poorman, one more thing....

Denso is one of the top sub-suppliers on the planet. There products are basically bullet-proof. That is the compressor I want, unless, as I said, it is impossible to locate. Thanks again......

Quick Reply: Searching for BRAND NEW OEM A/C compressor for 1987 Accord