General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Selling 1992 Honda Accord and NEED HELP

Old 06-11-2007, 12:49 PM
millsborn024
Unregistered
Default Selling 1992 Honda Accord and NEED HELP

I just got a new car so I am selling my piece of sJUNK 1992 HondaAccord with 128,000 miles on it
I am posting on here because i need help deciphering what is wrong with my car.
1.) When I try to start it.. it takes like 10 "tries" before it actualy starts.
2.) The speedometer will work and stop working speraticaly. (along with the mileage gauge)
3.) The transmision light on the dash blinks almost all the time.
4.) After driving around for a bit (Aprox. 30 min) the transmission starts to slip to the point where its hard to get up hills.

So if anyone could help me out so when i sell my car i know what to tell possible buyers. Should i just take it to the honda dealer and ask them the same?
I am lost on what to do.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Deleted User
Unregistered
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 06-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Default RE: Selling 1992 Honda Accord and NEED HELP

Put it in neutral and push it off a cliff.... j/k basically see if you can get some parts from the junk yard, see what a tranny and such would cost.... if not then run an ad as a "mechanic special" or just sell the car for parts....

Old 06-12-2007, 02:10 PM
millsborn024
Unregistered

bump

Old 06-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

1. Describe in more detail what happens when there is no start. Does the the starter turn the engine at all?
2. When the speedometer stops working, does the cruise control still work?
3. Find out what the code that the trans control unit (TCU) is storing. Read the procedure in our DIY section, then go to http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html for some pics. You just count the flashes with the trans light instead of the chk engine light. Also, is the check engine light on?
4. Your transmission might be shot, but maybe the TCU is going into limp mode because of the problem with point 3.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:48 PM
millsborn024
Unregistered

1.) When i try to start it it will turn over and over and overbut it wont"catch" if you know what i mean.
2.) Yeah your right the cruise control doesnt work when the speedometer doesnt work.
3.) The check engine light comes on sometimes but doesnt seem to come on when the check engine light does.
4.) When i first saw the light come on a long time ago I check the manual and it said it was due to problems with the transmission and that i should get it checked. It flashes over and over again at the same rate your blinker would.

Thanks for the reply

Old 06-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

I think that 2, 3, and 4 could all be related to the same problem. The VSS (vehicle speed sensor) may be shot.

IMPORTANT: You must to retrieve the engine and transmission codes by shorting that service connector with a paper clip. Those codes are crucial, because they will basically pinpoint problems. Its very quick and easy to do, and it will verify a bad VSS or maybe some other problem.

As for point 1:
The starter sounds like it is working, so either you have lack of spark or lack of fuel. Do you hear the fuel pump whirl when you turn the key to II position? You might have to have someone turn the key to the II position and listen with your ear to the gas cap.

If you have a spare spark plug, pull one of the wires, plug your wire into it, and ground the plug by having metal touch the engine block. Have an assistant try to start the car, and look at the plug. It should have a bright blue/white color. A yellow spark would indicate some kind of electrical problem.

Have the spark plugs, dist. cap, dist. rotor, plug wires, and fuel filter ever been changed?

Old 06-13-2007, 01:24 PM
millsborn024
Unregistered

wow thanks alot for the input thats what i was looking for
im at work now ill try that later tongiht

Old 06-13-2007, 01:26 PM
millsborn024
Unregistered

oh yeah i have had the car for only a year and i havnt had any of those things replaced

Old 06-19-2007, 11:36 AM
millsborn024
Unregistered

Ok so i took the car to the honda dealership and they checked it out for me..

1.)They told me that my starter was out and that it was sparking.... they said it would cost $450 for a new replacement... Does this sound resonable to anyone? Ill prolly check some junk yards around and get a cheap mechanic to replace it.

2.) The gauges and speedometer were acting up due to some regulator thing... ill get more info tommorow when i pick up the car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Selling 1992 Honda Accord and NEED HELP