General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Servicing @ 105,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Question Servicing @ 105,000 miles?

Hi,

I am new here. I just purchased a 2002 Honda Accord EX V6 @ around 103K a month ago. I read in the user manual that the Honda should be serviced at around 105k. Is this a good idea? The car is 10 years old but runs really smooth. I talked to the previous owner who said that he did basic servicing to the car before selling it to me.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Do you know if the timing belt has been replaced? If not I would get it done as soon as you can. Its a somewhat expensive service to have done, but if the timing belt fails the engine will most likely be destroyed and cause thousands of dollars worth of damage.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:03 PM

I can call the owner tomorrow and ask him if he replaced the timing belt. I checked all the fluids and they all are above the minimum threshold. Should I also worry about the spark plugs? I am not a car person, I am talking out of the manual.

Also, where would you recommend I get my service done? I have heard stories that Honda dealers overcharge for no reason.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

I know the Honda dealer close to me has a pretty high hourly rate($100+ an hour)

Do you have a local mechanic you trust? They usually charge about half what the dealer charges.

Spark plugs last a long time, but if you have no idea when the last time they were replaced it isn't a bad idea to just replace them as they aren't that expensive.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by powersoul
Should I also worry about the spark plugs? I am not a car person ...
Buy the iridium tip spark plugs ($8) and you'll 'never' have to replace them again - it's an easy job
to do for a new guy and should give you some car work confidence...

If prior owner only did routine maintenace that probably didn't include timing belt.
With TB replacement, some models replace the water pump too - 'cuz all the labor's been done.
Dealer'll charge $800 - 900 (would be done right - but, not advocating either way really).

Old 03-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

I am not advocating dealership or independent either. However, sometimes you may end up with a noise or vibration (that never was there before) after a timing belt change by an independent who does not specialize in Hondas.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:20 PM

I tried contacting the owner. He is out of town - is there any way I can find out if the timing belt needs replacement?

I don't know any independent mechanics around me, I just moved into this country a few months back.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

The general rule of thumb is if you can still read the writing on the belt then it has probably been replace recently. But I would still consider replacing it.

Also some dealers will put a sticker on the cover saying when it was changed.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:21 PM

Ok, so I talked to the owner and he never changed the timing belt because he didn't have to. He said that the Honda dealer never recommended that. So I am guessing I will wait till the car reached 105K and then get the scheduled maintenance done on it which includes replacing the timing belt. Good idea?

Also, I am having trouble finding the transmission fluid dipstick? Where is it? The car is auto.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by powersoul
Also, I am having trouble finding the transmission fluid dipstick? Where is it? The car is auto.

For the V6, the area behind the battery. See attached.

Attached Thumbnails Servicing @ 105,000 miles?-v6-dipstick.jpg  

Quick Reply: Servicing @ 105,000 miles?