General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting the timing/

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Question Setting the timing/

I need to set the timing with a timing light, I removed the dizzy when i took out the transmission, I marked it and it is close but need to make final adjustments, how do you do this? I tried search but not much luck, I know it involves jumping a service port but need a link or a lil info on this, thanks, in advance,, it is a 4 cyl v-tech auto trans

Old 11-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Jumping the service port under the glove box stops the ECU from adjusting the timing. Then you can set the base timing using the pointer on the timing cover and the crank pulley.

The online manuals thread in the diy section has a link to get a 94 shop manual. That will be almost the same as your 96.

This video will help:

Old 11-08-2014, 06:37 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Thanks for the link to the video, I watched it. However I am still not sure how this applies to my 96. That was on a acura and clearly not the same motor as I have . Is there a SPECIFIC link to show how to do it on my car, I did look in the diy and did not find anything, the search section on this forum leaves ALOT to be desired when it comes to navigation and function, thanks for your time.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

There are some very slight differences between this acura motor and your 96 accord.

Your service connector you short is blue and it is under the glove box between the two hinges. Your timing spec is 15 degrees before top dead center (check sticker under hood).

The timing light still gets connected to the #1 cylinder wire (the cylinder on the driver's side of the car) just like in the video.

If you need more detail, go to the common diy link on top of the gen tech help forum. There is a link for service manuals where you can get a pdf of the 94 shop manual that is almost identical to your 96.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

On a 96, rotating the distributor will not change the base timing.

Attached Thumbnails Setting the timing/-1996-1997-accord-no-ignition-timing-adjustment-distributor.jpg  
Old 11-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default no link

ok i looked 3 times, there is not a SPECIFIC link to my ?? I need to set the timing on my 96 ACCORD, not acura, i looked 3 times thru , no luck, could someone post a SPECIFIC LINK TO A 96 ACCORD. Thanks

Old 11-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

See my post above. Your 96 timing is controlled by the car's computer. The distributor position doesn't affect timing.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Almost A Senior Member

ok explain to me why when i moved the distributor it ran much better? seems you two mods have a different opinion and when someone comes with a legit issue you get a smart remark,,see above post,,

Old 11-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by woody31
ok explain to me why when i moved the distributor it ran much better? seems you two mods have a different opinion and when someone comes with a legit issue you get a smart remark,,see above post,,
How is that a smart remark? I posted an image with info. from a Honda Service News article. The 96 Accord had a change. You cannot affect the base timing via the distributor for a 96. The video above is not applicable. Your question was answered with info.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:34 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Strike 2 , You never answered my first ? How come when I moved the dizzy it ran much better. The dizzy has moved, so has the timing table, be it advance, mechanical or otherwise, your remark does not hold water. Thanks for your time.

If someone else has a valid link or advise, please post here, thanks

Quick Reply: Setting the timing/