General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sheared Camshaft-Options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:40 AM
abbiesdad
Unregistered
Default Sheared Camshaft-Options?

I have a 94 Accord with a single overhead cam engine bought used that looks like it had some "work" done on the engine. While our nanny was driving it, it broke down on the highway. No noises were reported, just quit. Got it home and opened the hood. Noticed the timing belt cover was worn through and I could see the pulley on the end of the camshaft. Pulled back the cover and the gear on the end of the camshaft was sheared off. Not unbolted, sheared. I'm not at home now or I would take a picture.

My question is this. What are the chances that I could just replace the camshaft and have it work? Pretty slim I assume. I found a junkyard where I can get an engine for $450 with an exchange. Would that be a more reasonable idea? Also, a head replacement was suggested. I think I am leaning that way but I thought i would run it by the experts here to get some opinions.

I am fairly confident in my skills and I research very thoroughly before I start a project. In fact this question is the beginning of my research on this.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Default RE: Sheared Camshaft-Options?

Probably ran out of oil. You are going to have bent valves. Replacing the head would not be much cheaper than replacing the motor. Fixing the current motor would be more. I suggest swapping the motor.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i think a sheared cam gear would carry the same effect as a broken timing belt would: bent valves and other damage to the head. A head swap would be easier and cheaper, but a whole engine swap is doable as well. I actually have a non-VTEC head for that motor if you want it... with upper timing belt cover.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:27 AM
abbiesdad
Unregistered

That sounds like something that could happen. How much are you looking to get for it? Any idea how much shipping to Atlanta, GA would be?

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Terry Slate

Old 04-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

$200 Shipped. It doesn't have any bent valves or damage. Never blown a head gasket either. It does need to have the valve clearances adjusted, but that should be done on your engine.