General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short shift kit install for '98 LX

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 04:46 PM
psk1018dc
Unregistered
Default Short shift kit install for '98 LX

I just purchased a 98 LX 4-door, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with installing a short shift kit in this model. How hard is this to install for someone with little or no mechanical experience. I also want to put a new **** on the shifter but I wouldn't imagine that would be very difficult. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-27-2006, 06:52 PM
psk1018dc
Unregistered
Default RE: Short shift kit install for '98 LX

Also, does anyone have a recommendation as to which kit to buy? I have seen a DC Sports kit online that seems to just change the pivot point of the shifter rather than shortening the actual lever. Is there a way to shorten the lever on the '98? I really have no issue with the distance between the gears as that is relatively short, I just don't like how high the shifter is. It just doesn't feel very sporty. So I guess my question is, will this DC Sports piece actually lower the height of the shifter, or just make the distance between gears shorter?

Old 11-04-2006, 09:05 PM

I have a 96 Ex and just bought a 99 Coupe. My 5th Gen has a Forbidden Motorsport SS and I love it. FM SS are 3 way adjustable. I wish they made them for the 6th gen. My 6th Gen Coupe feels like I'm shifting a truck. Not sure what you're talking about with the throw. The throw is far as hell. If you just want to lower the stick...Cut and Weld that ****. Just remember once you cut it you can't raise it so be sure how low you want to go because you're stuck with it after.

DC Sport is just an adaptor. It doesn't lower the height of the stick only shortens the throw. I wouldn't get an adaptor, just my opinion. I just ordered a PSPEC Short Shifter for a 97-01 Prelude that susposedly fits our cars. It is a true short shifter that shortens the throw 50% and lowers the **** about an inch or so. It should be here shortly but we'll see how it fits. My FM SS on the 5th gen was for a Prelude too and it fit just fine.

If you're not mechanically inclined...leave it to someone who is. It's not crazy difficult but if you mess something up, it's on you.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

what's a short shifter? ahhaha :P I believe that you turn the **** to the left to remove it from the shaft.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:30 PM

OK. I just ordered this short shifter: http://www.prostreetonline.com/megan...w_shifter.html
I ordered it for my 2000 LX so the install should be identical to your 98 LX.
I will start a new thread when it comes in to let you know if it is any good.(The price seemed too-good-to-be-true.) I ordered it on 3/22/07 and the "order status" still says "order processing."
When I install it, I will try to take pictures and see if I can do "how to" thread.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Default what does it do

What exactly does a short shifter do???

Old 03-26-2007, 03:06 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered
Default RE: what does it do

A short throw shifter does what the name implies: it shortens the shift throw lol. Usually it isnt as long as a stock shifter, so the **** will sit a little lower. It also shortens the distance between gears, so you are able to shift more quickly.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:12 PM

I have been unable to find a true short throw shifter for a 98-02 Accord untill the one I ordered (Megan Racing) from prostreetonline. Thanks to sir_nasty for a link to that website he postedin another thread.
Previouslya "short shift kit" I have seen anywhere else for a 98-00 Accordis just an adapter that reduces shift throw whileusing the samestock shift lever (thus not reducing the height of the shifter.)
Maro, the link I provided in my postabove (if it works) gives a pretty good explanation of what a short shifter does. Let me know if the link doesn't work & I'll provide another one.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:31 PM

thanks for the links and explanation. I was curious as to how the drivability changes when using the short shifter. And if it helps with the classic "notchy" feeling the standard accord stick has. I checked that link and saw that for the 5th gen accord they have an adapter. I also checked out the forbidden Motorsport SS mentioned in the earlier thread. I like the idea of a full replacement shifter rather than the adapter, the asapter definitely has a lower throw percentage, however, I wondering how uncomfortable it would be to lose height from my standard shifter with a replacement. hmmmm.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:12 PM

I wanted a reduction in height as well as shorter throws. My shifter is way too tall. Doesn't feel sporty enough. If you are satisfied with your height though, I would probably just buy the adapter. I was about to buy a Neuspeed adapter, then I saw the link sir_nasty posted.
I'll keep you guys updated. I hope it ships soon! The order status STILL says "processing"

Quick Reply: Short shift kit install for '98 LX