General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Throw Shifter disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Default Short Throw Shifter disappointment

I am starting a new thread to avoid thread jacking.
Here is what I was originally talking about in the old thread:

OK. I just ordered this short shifter: http://www.prostreetonline.com/megan_racing_short_throw_shifter.html I ordered it for my 2000 LX so the install should be identical to your 98 LX.
I will start a new thread when it comes in to let you know if it is any good.
So.....Yesterday I received what the web site told me was a "Megan Racing Short Throw Shifter." What I got is an "L" shaped peice of metal with a bolt on one part and a hole in another. It is attached to a thin purple piece of cardboard with a sticker on it that says "98-02 Honda Accord Shift Adapter." Nowhere on it does iteven say Megan Racing! I am pretty disappointed. I emailedprostreetonline and told them what I got was not what I was lead to believe I would be receiving. I know this is a short shift kit adapter,but the website says it is the actual shifter.They tell you it is an adapter for a 94-97 accord, but for a 98-02 Accord it saysit is a short throw shifter. There were no instructions whatsoever.They didn't even send an invoice! Itlooks like it was shipped from some woman'shouse in California! I need to take a picture of it and post it online so you guys can see it. I emailed them and told them what they sent me was not what I ordered. Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for. I still feel like that was false advertising. I am thinking about reporting them to the Better Business Bureau.
The part that was sent to me looks identical to a DC Sports shift adapter (I've been looking aroundon the internet for a similar part.) The DC Sports adapter is about $70 plus shipping, but it comes with installation instructions. [/u]My supposed "Megan Racing Short Throw Shifter" came with none at all.
So here's my question: Has anyone bought a DC Sports short shift adapter and do you still have the instructions? Does anyone know where I can find instructions? I found a website where a guy was installing something that looked identical on a Prelude, but I'm not sure if the install will be the same.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Default RE: Short Throw Shifter disappointment

DAYUM, that sucks. I've been thinking of getting a SS myself, so I've been following your threads. I'll be curious to see what the others have to say

Old 03-30-2007, 05:24 PM

For starters if it actually says in their website "megan" and not "megan style" or something fishy then I'd call Megan and tell them what happened, I'm sure they'd love to know about someone who is selling crap under their name... you might even be able to get something out of it for reporting them..... as for instructions I'm afraid I can't help since I don't have the manual for that car and off the top of my head I'm going to say something more like it's easy.... try this link though it has instructions for removing the center consol and without knowing what your piece looks like I can't give you to much more....

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/Honda/Accord.html

Old 03-30-2007, 06:36 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

Yeah, it definitely says Megan Racing Short Throw Shifter, and it does NOT say "Adapter Only" like the one for the 94-97 does... I would say you got hosed, my friend. Have they emailed you back yet?

Old 03-30-2007, 06:39 PM

Nope..no response yet. I am going to call Megan Racing or email someone there on Monday and show them a picture of what was sent to me with a link that shows a description of their product.
Then I am going to report prostreetonline to the better business bureau for false advertisement.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:44 PM

trying to upload a picture for sir_nasty

[IMG]local://upfiles/7626/08AA0483080B4399BEEFF39D8A141D8D.jpg[/IMG]

It looks just like this DC Sports adapter except it appears to be all stainless. It does not have any writing on it at all.

I'll take a picture of it for you guys later this weekend.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:25 PM

I think I just found a link for an install guide and I mean no offense by this but it's fricken stupid.... I never really realized how those adapters work but now that I see it I'm just dumb founded, I swear I could build one of those for $10.00 with a welder all it does is raise the shift linkage..... if you don't mind a shorter shift **** you could have cut the top of the stick off and got the exact same results with a shorter stick.... wow.... the bright side is that it will work, it will reduce your shift throw

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread...43279#25843279

Old 03-30-2007, 08:34 PM

Haha...no offense taken! That is why I wanted the actual SHIFTER not the adapter. And the site lead me to believe I was getting the shifter. I thought the same thing about being able to make one myself if I had a welder, a cutting torch, and a good peice of steel! Oh well. I guess that's what you get for $25. THANKSFOR THE LINK! I was just not sure which cabled to hook up where. I am still going to contact Megan Racing though and report the bunk product they are pawning off as Megan Racing's product on prostreetonline! Somebody probably just made this thing they sold me in their basement. I still have no doubt it will work just as well as any other adapter out there. I actually saw a thread on here where a guy went to Lowes and made one for a 92 or 93Accord out of some plumbing materials!

Old 03-31-2007, 01:13 PM

I got one of those short throw adapters for my 92 years back, and ever since I've been looking everywhere for someone who actually has the whole shifter. I don't even care what year it is, just as long asI can find one....no luck though. You can always install the adapter and then shorten the rod a bit, that'll give you even less throw, but you might be compromising your abilty to shift effectively. Just a thought

Old 04-02-2007, 12:45 PM

So I emailed prostreetonline on Thursday and complained. I checked my voice mail at work a customer service rep had left a message telling me I can send the part back and receive a refund. I don't know how well I trust them to refund my money since the message said to return it to the address on the box it was shipped in. Plus I highly doubt they will refund the shipping which was around $20. So I might as well keep the thing. I am going to email prostreetonline again and tell them they need show that this is an adapter only, and not the actual shifter.
I have pictures on my computer, but I have not been able to shrink them down enough to add them to a post. I am trying to fugure that out now.

Quick Reply: Short Throw Shifter disappointment