General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 09:46 AM
Default Should I buy this car?

Hi everyone,
I just found a 1993 Honda Accord for sale with 245,000 miles on it. The owner claims the only thing it needs are new engine mounts and that he considers it still safe to drive without doing that change. He also states he knows where I can get it done for a very low price. I have wanted this exact car for a long time and here it is for sale, but the high miles are worrisome, and so is the idea of it needing engine mounts . Should I still consider buying the car ? Thanks

Starrose.

Old 11-30-2019, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

If the Accord is otherwise in good shape and the price is reasonable, go for it, 245,000 miles is not too many for these cars. Motor mounts are considered a maintenance item in that they do fail/get old and tired from time to time, so no sweat there.

So, what's the rest of the car like and how much is the owner asking for it?

Old 11-30-2019, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
If the Accord is otherwise in good shape and the price is reasonable, go for it, 245,000 miles is not too many for these cars. Motor mounts are considered a maintenance item in that they do fail/get old and tired from time to time, so no sweat there.

So, what's the rest of the car like and how much is the owner asking for it?
Hi thanks for responding. The car looks nice in photos have not seen it in person,. He says he has put in a new radiator, water pump, timing belt , and battery. He wants $1800 for it. He gave me the vin number and I ran one of those free vin checks which came out clean. but he did not respond to the question I asked if anyone had ever smoked in the car. He says it does not have a lot of rust which is important to me. I do not know how many owners it has had I should probably ask him, and I still need to find someone to come with me to inspect the car but it is located is over an hour away so it is a long drive. Should I ask him to come to me? Is it still safe to drive a car that needs new motor mounts?

Old 11-30-2019, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Starrose
Hi thanks for responding. The car looks nice in photos have not seen it in person,. He says he has put in a new radiator, water pump, timing belt , and battery. He wants $1800 for it. He gave me the vin number and I ran one of those free vin checks which came out clean. but he did not respond to the question I asked if anyone had ever smoked in the car. He says it does not have a lot of rust which is important to me. I do not know how many owners it has had I should probably ask him, and I still need to find someone to come with me to inspect the car but it is located is over an hour away so it is a long drive. Should I ask him to come to me? Is it still safe to drive a car that needs new motor mounts?
Wow, $1,800? Waaaaay overpriced. Even if that car was in near showroom condition it wouldn't be worth more than $1,200; in average condition I wouldn't pay more than $400 for the car. Said another way, time to keep looking.

Regarding the motor mounts, yes, it will be safe to drive, just don't beat on it until they're replaced.

Edit: Here is a 1994 with 110,000 fewer miles and in very good shape, not a spot of rust, for $1,500. https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/ct...025119742.html

Last edited by shipo; 11-30-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
Wow, $1,800? Waaaaay overpriced. Even if that car was in near showroom condition it wouldn't be worth more than $1,200; in average condition I wouldn't pay more than $400 for the car. Said another way, time to keep looking.

Regarding the motor mounts, yes, it will be safe to drive, just don't beat on it until they're replaced.

Edit: Here is a 1994 with 110,000 fewer miles and in very good shape, not a spot of rust, for $1,500. https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/ct...025119742.html
Hi I do not know if he will come down in price he says in the ad his price is firm but I can ask him. I did not mention this before but it is a 1993 station wagon. Does that make a difference in the price? Also I have read that this generation of Honda Accords are among the most stolen in America, what are the best way for me to keep it from being stolen? I read a steering wheel lock might help and a loud car alarm. Are there other ways that work too?

I just asked him and he replied that he thinks it is an LX . He lists the car as being in excellent condition. I love the 1993 Honda Accord wagons, but do not want to pay too much. He also offered to put in the motor mounts for me if I pay to buy them online for about $42 dolllars each ( plus shipping,I will need 4 ) he says he will do the work for $200. This is the first 1993 Honda Accord wagon I have ever found for sale near to me.

Last edited by Starrose; 11-30-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Starrose
Hi I do not know if he will come down in price he says in the ad his price is firm but I can ask him. I did not mention this before but it is a 1993 station wagon. Does that make a difference in the price? Also I have read that this generation of Honda Accords are among the most stolen in America, what are the best way for me to keep it from being stolen? I read a steering wheel lock might help and a loud car alarm. Are there other ways that work too?

I just asked him and he replied that he thinks it is an LX . He lists the car as being in excellent condition. I love the 1993 Honda Accord wagons, but do not want to pay too much. He also offered to put in the motor mounts for me if I pay to buy them online for about $42 dolllars each ( plus shipping,I will need 4 ) he says he will do the work for $200. This is the first 1993 Honda Accord wagon I have ever found for sale near to me.
If it's the car you want, buy it. Otherwise you won't be happy. I made that mistake when I bought my 97 Accord, only to find my 99 Accord 6 months later (I prefer that body style). I sold the 97 at a loss. Mileage on these cars isn't a problem, as they'll go 500K with some maintenance. It already having the timing belt done (best time to replace the water pump), along with getting a new radiator and battery are probably the reasons for the high asking price. I'd probably do the motor mounts myself, and use the 200 to purchase them. Just my take on it.

Old 11-30-2019, 07:23 PM

I had a '93 first, gave to my son.

Soon later I bought a '92 sedan with 202,000 miles for $2800, beautiful condition.
First two years and I didn't put a dime into it other than oil changes. Still have it now at 270,000+ miles.
Uses oil 1qt/1500 miles, so I add oil (cheap). Strong A/C, v good heater. Like it - 5 spd tranny. Classy styling.

I'd consider buying your car and have the other guy do the work first before I forked over the $. What can you lose?
Claimed retail value doesn't matter because you're likely to drive it as long as it lasts.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
If it's the car you want, buy it. Otherwise you won't be happy. I made that mistake when I bought my 97 Accord, only to find my 99 Accord 6 months later (I prefer that body style). I sold the 97 at a loss. Mileage on these cars isn't a problem, as they'll go 500K with some maintenance. It already having the timing belt done (best time to replace the water pump), along with getting a new radiator and battery are probably the reasons for the high asking price. I'd probably do the motor mounts myself, and use the 200 to purchase them. Just my take on it.
I do want the car but do not want to feel taken advantage of on the price of it. The price including the extra $400 for the engine mounts parts and service will cost me $2200 to buy the car, which is is higher then even the highest Kelly Blue Book estimate for the car even in the most perfect condition. I would love to be able to do the work myself but I dont know how.. I have been trying to learn more about cars but still new at it all. What also confuses me is at first he stated he would have fixed the engine mounts himself before selling the car but did not have time right now, but then later he offered to do the work for $200. I guess he has time if someone will pay him. How do I bargain him down on the price?

Old 12-01-2019, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by UhOh
I had a '93 first, gave to my son.

Soon later I bought a '92 sedan with 202,000 miles for $2800, beautiful condition.
First two years and I didn't put a dime into it other than oil changes. Still have it now at 270,000+ miles.
Uses oil 1qt/1500 miles, so I add oil (cheap). Strong A/C, v good heater. Like it - 5 spd tranny. Classy styling.

I'd consider buying your car and have the other guy do the work first before I forked over the $. What can you lose?
Claimed retail value doesn't matter because you're likely to drive it as long as it lasts.

It is amazing that these cars will last that long. I love how they do not have all the computeriized parts that malfunction in weird ways,. These older cars are so reliable. Do you ever have trouble finding parts ? . Do you know whether or not a 1993 Accord has the Takata airbags? I don't think so but not sure.

You think I should ask him to do the engine mount work first ? I suspect he may be selling the car because he needs the money though I don;t know that for sure. But why else would he want to sell a car he has put so much work into and kept so nice? It is possible he cant afford to fix it right now. . I certainly can't pay him for the parts and labor for the car before I buy it. And if I buy it before the work is done he may not want to fix it for me afterwards. I knew someone who had his own system for buying a used car. He would go to look at the car with cash in his pocket , and offer a price much lower then what the owner was asking while taking out the cash money and spreading it out in front of them. Most of the time they took the money and sold him the car for the price he wanted. Should I try that? Lol.

Last edited by Starrose; 12-01-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:54 AM

The key to buying a car is not falling in love with it before you buy it. If it's a car you want give him the price you are willing to pay for it and see how he responds. Personally I would say $1400 plus the cost of the mounts themselves no labor. If he's not willing to do that then keep looking. $2400 for that car is insane. Buy it only if you want it more than the price you are paying at $2400. If you do not know anyone who can do the mounts for you for nothing do not buy without the mounts being done because it's an added price to the purchase being that you knew they were bad from the beginning.

Giving him your price can't hurt. At least you know that you were not taken for if he doesn't accept your offer.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this car?