General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I change the timing belt???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:50 AM
Default Should I change the timing belt???

I have a 2001 Honda Accord v6 with 30,500 miles. Because of time not mileage the owners manual recommends certain adjustments / replacements. Should I replace the timing belt, I am driving south in August (1800 miles round trip), and I don't want any problems, but I am driving to save money also. What do the Honda experts recommend I do change...ie (Filters, trans oil, is there a differential on the honda?, etc), and please advise things you think I should definetly change. Note the car is in mint condition, garage kept, low milage as my wife works 10 min from our house (I am the original owner).

Old 08-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Administrator

This is where your post should have been for an answer..

Thanks for posting and someone ..maybe me will get back to this soon ..

Old 08-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Timing belt change interval is probably 105K/7rs, so you're 3 yrs overdue. No way to inspect and say the belt is good or bad.

Not changing runs the risk of belt breaking, leading to valve damage and possible piston damage.

good luck

Old 08-04-2011, 08:40 PM

Definitely time for a change.

Off topic, but that is one car I would LOVE to be the second owner of. 30k in 10 years. Amazing!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:01 PM

Question for you and anyone else who care to answer, as I stated in my original statement above, I am taking a long trip, do I have to worry now that I will / could have a problem on the road now if I change the belt. This seems like a complex adjustment on the car and I am afraid the I am not going find out if something was screwed up until I am already on the road and too far away. Note I do plan on going to the dealer, but is this the type of maintenance that they normally get right or do you hear a lot of horror stories (This was my first new car).

Old 08-05-2011, 09:16 PM

There shouldn't be any trouble getting it replaced at a dealership, it's a common service. The real horror stories come from those people who don't have this service done and end up having a belt snap on them. Then you're up doo doo creek without a paddle

Old 08-06-2011, 12:14 AM

If the timing belt job is done wrong, you would probably notice something right away (strange new noises, or engine running bad). Has your transmission fluid ever been changed?

Old 08-06-2011, 07:34 AM

I would wait until after your trip, but thats just me. Its a standard repair at a dealership they do 100s the same as yours. You get it in your head thats its going to break when its overdue and then worry about it. Thats how it was before I changed mine, all of sudden I was afraid to drive to the grocery store. Youll notice right away if you have it replaced and its not right.

Last edited by moey; 08-06-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:59 PM

I have had 5 Accords and had always followed Honda Maintenance by a Honda deal. Threeor four years ago I was driving to a vacation (a 3k round trip)in my 2002 which had 100k miles. A tire blew. I went to a Midas got 4 new tires and told them to do brake work and to change all the belts and hoses since I knew my timing belt was going to need to be changed. I paid the bill and went on vacation. This summer I was approaching 200k. I pulled out the Midas receipt and saw that they changed all the belts except for the timing belt. I immediately went to my Honda dealership and got the timing belt changed for $700. After I paid I examined the old belt and it was in pristine condition. It looked brand new. I'm skeptical that it needed to be changed.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't go by the looks of the belt, I would go by the mileage and years for recommended maintenance. The interval is set so that the belt will last on most cars through that interval. After that your chances of a belt failure increase.

Quick Reply: Should I change the timing belt???