General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Should I Replace MT Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Default Should I Replace MT Fluid?

Hello all,

I've noticed that my '94 Accord LX MT hasn't been shifting smoothly anymore. I can sort of feel the gears as I push the stick into gear and shifting generally feels "dry". Particularly, the first gear is becoming increasingly difficult to engage sometimes.

I'm thinking of replacing the transmission fluid, but I read that some gearboxes break after changing out the fluid. I don't know if the fluid's ever been replaced in my car, or if the previous owners used transmission or gear oil.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!!

Old 04-02-2015, 03:37 PM

^It certainly won't hurt. Easy to do, I change mine out every 30K miles.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

The legends I've heard about failing transmissions after changing fluid, those stories are with automatic transmissions.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the replies guy! That was easy. I should've made the distinction between AT and MT in my reading. Thanks again!!

Old 04-02-2015, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

If first gear is becoming increasingly difficult to engage, you may be reaching the end of the line for your clutch.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:45 AM

I'd find where you refill the transmission, open it up and stick something like a dipstick down there and see what the oil is like. Is it still light colored or dark?

Old 04-05-2015, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
If first gear is becoming increasingly difficult to engage, you may be reaching the end of the line for your clutch.
I occasionally find it difficult to physically move the shifter into first gear. Would you say that this is still a clutch issue?

Old 04-05-2015, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cukaracha
I occasionally find it difficult to physically move the shifter into first gear. Would you say that this is still a clutch issue?
If the problem is only in the winter and/or only when the transmission isn't yet warmed up, probably not. However, if the issue is all of the time it *may* be the clutch, then again, maybe not. I'm hedging here because I've had several cars where first was difficult at all times; I simply got into the habit of always going into second gear prior to going into first.

Simply select second gear, and then without releasing the clutch pedal, slip it into first; if you still have an issue, then I would be highly suspicious of the clutch.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the reply! I'll try replacing the trans oil and see if that changes anything. I'm not sure if my situation is quite the same as yours because the first gear isn't always finicky. It's only occasionally that I gotta work it in a little. Either way, we'll find out soon enough.

Thanks again!!

Old 04-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

A 5spd driver here - both of these tranny oils work good for me with the Pennzoil product being a bit better in the cold temps.
Name:  Sept222013008.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  158.4 KB
So, if in cold temp Michigan, I'd probably mix Pennzoil with Honda 60:40.
Best wishes. Change the fluid - it's cheap.

Last edited by UhOh; 04-05-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I Replace MT Fluid?