General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I replace or Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:17 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Should I replace or Rebuild?

I have a slightly bent exhaust valve (98% Sure) that creates a pretty mean ticking. I notice some power loss and slight decrease in MPGs. My question is what is the most cost effective way of fixing this issue? I have found a refurbished vtec Head complete with all new valves, springs, ect. for around 350. I know it is good practice to replace all of them if you need to replace just one. Let me know your expert opinions, tips, or tricks or if you know of anywhere where I might be able to find the items i would need for a decent price

Thanks to everybody in advance.

Car info: 97 EX 2.2L Vtec. 5spd trans.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

what were your verification procedures to determine that you have a bent valve?

Old 04-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Verify.

But if it IS TRULY bent, I wouldn't try to leave it alone or do any ghetto repairs. It operates at a high-enough temperature that off-axis loads and large number of cycles means it IS gonna break off. Then you'll be looking at a much larger repair bill.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies

@Dr. Drivability. I have adjusted the valve lash to try and correct the problem. it helped a little bit but it still ticks pretty loud. As of right now I am driving my wifes truck to get me around but i would like to get the problem fixed so I can sell the car. Nobody wants a car that ticks.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

have you checked compression? if the valve is bent then it won't seal the combustion chamber fully and you should get a different reading from the other 3 cylinders. i'm still not convinced if you check compression and it's good...change the oil, and add a can of Seafoam to the crankcase...i have had good luck with it alleviating ticks, tocs, and other errant noises. and i'm sure i'll be beat-up for telling you to do this but it's worth a shot.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sorry i forgot to mention that i did in fact do a compression test and yes there is a significant amount of compression lost on cylinder #1. So I know I need to get this fixed. i just want to know what is the best plan of action for this task

Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

gotta tear into it now and find out what's going on. pull the head, make sure the piston are in good condition (i've seen chunks missing out of them) and then have it rebuilt or swap it for a rebuilt head.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JasonSater
...i would like to get the problem fixed so I can sell the car... i just want to know what is the best plan of action for this task...
The local U Pull & Pay junkyard in my part of the country sells used cylinder heads for $30 ($10 core charge) and a $7.50 fee if you want an extended return period. Add another $100 for a head gasket set; ~$150 total plus a Saturday's labor.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

@Roader I have checked the only local U Pull yard and unfortunately they don't have any of the f22 engines in the yard. Any web sites that might sell a rebuilt head for around 300?

Old 04-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

You can try car-part dot com and see what they have listed near where you live.

Quick Reply: Should I replace or Rebuild?