General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silicone Paste?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Silicone Paste?

Anyone here know how to get this cheaper? The 3M brand comes in a small jar for roughly $20.00. I don't even need half of that jar. What I'm looking for is preferably a smaller size at reduced cost or a different brand.

I'm looking for alternatives but all I'm seeing is heatsink thermal compound (which I'm very familiar with) but I am not sure it's the same as what 3M puts in their cans.

I'm just looking for something to grease up the window run channels without destroying them.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 PM

Pretty sure dielectric grease is the same.

I used silicone spray, but I doubt that is even close to as good.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You can buy a small tube of silicone lube grease at pool supply store for much less. I use a sparing amount on orings and gaskets for pool pump/filter. It should work fine to lube window run channel. You don't need a lot, if you spread it thorougly.

Honda recommends Shinitsu grease. It's kinda pricey also (google found plenty on ebay for $14.95 for small tube).

good luck

Old 07-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I actually tried silicone spray but I've heard it's not recommended for actually lubricating the channels where the windows run. It's used to lube up the outside of the channels so that it slides into the door properly and protects it from the elements.

I thought I could get away with it but a day later the spray dries out and the window squeaks. The friction causes the window to pop out again I believe and I have to do the whole window removal and reinstallation all over again.

I figured I might as well do it correctly and get the lube so the windows go up and down with as least friction as possible.

I'm going to look up dielectric grease and the pool supply store silicone lube. For the silicone lube sold at pool supply stores do you happen to know what a pool supply store sells these for? What part of the pool requires silicone lube?

I've also heard that grease is not supposed to be used (specifically from ETCG videos). I'm suspecting that it causes some long term damage to the rubber maybe making it dry out and become brittle or warp? But ETCG never really clarifies a specific type of grease I believe, just "grease" in general. But this is all semantics isn't it? Is it really Dielectric Grease or Dieletric Paste?

Last edited by MessAround; 07-18-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:20 PM

Permaflex RTV Blue. You can find it at any auto parts or home improvement store for $5 for a 3oz tube.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Isn't RTV a glue?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Peli
Permaflex RTV Blue. You can find it at any auto parts or home improvement store for $5 for a 3oz tube.
Do you mean "Permatex Ultra Blue Silicone Gasket Maker"???

That is an entirely different creature.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:20 AM

Woof I'd never looked into it, that's what I was recommended when I went to a local AutoZone looking for silicone paste. Glad I never used that.

What I've found for my car now is Dow Corning high temp silicone grease that I get cheap through work but that stuff is spendy ($20ish 5.3oz) so it doesn't help you in the cheap department. Sorry for that initial misleading post I should've checked the store's facts before I recommended it here and should probably go back there and let them know that they shouldn't recommend it in the future...

Old 07-19-2011, 02:11 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I had a similar experience when I was looking for the Silicone Spray. Local PepBoys person sent me to Silicone Sealant when I asked for spray.

I called up AutoZone to ask if they had it and they said they didn't have it and don't carry it. Went there in person the next day and found it there.

Oh and TexasHonda nevermind about where the silicone paste is used for on the pool, I re-read your post and somehow on the first read I thought "pool pump/filter" was "fuel pump/filter".

On a somewhat related note does anyone know if it's normal for the run channel to pop out of the track the door has for it all the way on the bottom near the floor of the car? The run channel stays in the track the door has for the most part but when the run channel gets nears the bottom of the door (closest to the floor) it pops out on its own. If it isn't normal is there anyway I can keep it in there? Glue it on?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Home Depot or Lowes in the plumbing department. ~$3 for a little plastic container, probably enough for two 4-door cars.

Quick Reply: Silicone Paste?