General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

since diy requests wasnt the right area to post >:[

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Default since diy requests wasnt the right area to post >:[

can anybody give me a step by step on how to replace the passenger axle? i have a 98 accord lx 3.0 auto trans. i have a decent idea of what im doing, but just to be sure...

Old 03-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Supper Moderator

sorry I didn't mean to be a D-bag...but the rules and sticky) are posted in the DIY are to NOT post questions in that area of the forum. No1 seem to be able to read now-a-days...................................

but here you go....

'96 Honda Accord RH Drive Axle Replacement (Part 1).mp4 - YouTube

Old 03-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Search for v=jydxpsh13WQ on YouTube for a good video on how to change the axles.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The job is pretty simple except for 2 things.

1) you need a 36mm deep socket and a strong Impact Wrench (some have used brakers bars but that seems much harder to me) to get the axle nut off.

2) getting the lower ball joint separated. DO NOT HAMMER THE BOLT to get it apart, this will break it. After almost giving up I grabbed a propane torch (used for plumbing) and heated the ball joint up some, it came right apart very easily. I did that for both sides and it worked perfectly.

Pulling the axle out and installing the new one is super easy, it just slides in and out.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You don't pull an axle out. It must be pryed from behind w/ a large screwdriver or lever to pop the spring clip that holds the axle shaft to the differential. If you pull externally, the inner cv axle may pull apart.

good luck

Old 03-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
You don't pull an axle out. It must be pryed from behind w/ a large screwdriver or lever to pop the spring clip that holds the axle shaft to the differential. If you pull externally, the inner cv axle may pull apart.

good luck

When replacing an axle I think it is fine to pull it out, if the joint does pull out of the cup would it matter?

However when pulling an axle for another matter, where the axle is going to be reused, like a clutch swap, Texas is right it is better to pry between the trans and axle cup.

On a side note, I have a off road buggy that uses CV axles in the rear, the only procedure that works for removing them as the circlip is very strong is to collapse the axles towards the trans as much as they will go and then violently jerk them out as hard as you can. I have done this around 1/2 dozen times without ever pulling the race from the cup. These BTW are GEO Metro axles so not the strongest axles ever built by far.