General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slave cylinder boot

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Default slave cylinder boot

Hey again guys. Just a quick question. I am a noob as usual so please bear with me. I Have been getting that clutch squeak sound and some tutorials suggested putting high temp grease in the slave cylinder boot. I did that and it seems to have helped but I need to make sure it stays. Anyway I was not really sure what I was doing to I just pulled up the edge of the boot and got a liberal amount in there, but now one side of the boot is not attached to the rod anymore (the side to the left from the front of the car facing back). I don't want to destroy it with a screwdriver, what is the usual way to do this? is it safe to take off the bolts with the fluid still in there and whatnot?

Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Are you talking about the little boot on the slave piston rod? Or the larger boot where the throw-out lever goes into the bellhousing?

How about grease at the ball/socket where the slave piston pushes against the throw-out lever.

Another popular place for squeaking noise, is the pivot ball for the throw-out lever. Tough to reach in there to get grease on that one.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:51 PM

For the boot that does not go on correctly, I am referring to the little one. I took the big one off before and put grease in there as far as I could reach, though it was getting dark so I could not really see if it got on anything important. The big boot went back in fine. I will try putting some on the connection too.

I get two noises, one is when you press in the clutch before starting the car, and it makes the squeak. This usually goes away once it warms up. The other noise is a constant soft chirping when the clutch is all the way out. If I press the clutch even very slightly, it goes away. I don't know if grease would help either of these but maybe.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sona1111
For the boot that does not go on correctly, I am referring to the little one. I took the big one off before and put grease in there as far as I could reach, though it was getting dark so I could not really see if it got on anything important. The big boot went back in fine. I will try putting some on the connection too.

I get two noises, one is when you press in the clutch before starting the car, and it makes the squeak. This usually goes away once it warms up. The other noise is a constant soft chirping when the clutch is all the way out. If I press the clutch even very slightly, it goes away. I don't know if grease would help either of these but maybe.
you have the classic symptoms for a failing pilot bearing with the chirping noise until you put slight pressure on the clutch pedal.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:26 PM

Is that something I should ask a mechanic to do during the next clutch replacement?

Old 05-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sona1111
Is that something I should ask a mechanic to do during the next clutch replacement?
it's usually part of a clutch replacement, the bearing will come in the clutch kit. but it NEVER hurts to ask

Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

That sound should be the throw-out bearing not the pilot bearing. It's "often" included as part of the clutch package, but doesn't hurt to verify that.

The pilot bearing isn't spinning unless the clutch is actually disengaged.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:25 PM

Thank you for the replies, and I will definitely ask about it during clutch replacement.

I am still wondering about the little boot though. It is safe to remove the two bolts holding the slave cylinder to the transmission so that I can get the boot back on?or is their a more complicated procedure?

Old 05-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

IIRC, you CAN unbolt the slave from the trans. But BE CAREFUL that you hold the piston-rod. There's a spring inside the slave cylinder (pretty weak spring) that pushes the piston outwards. So when you unbolt it, you no longer have the throw-out fork preventing the piston from coming out altogether.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:39 PM

so, interestingly enough, I found that the grease on the slave boot (little one) can fix the squeaky noise problem at least in my situation, but thus far it has only worked for a few days before I have to apply more. (weird) Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: slave cylinder boot