General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Smells after driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Default Smells after driving

There are two problems with my car (they might be related).

First my heating meter abruptly rises to middle (within 1 minute of start, even in morning). I first think it might be the problem of heat sensor but when i turn on the heater, its also blowing hot air. But even after driving more than 1 hour, the needle stays on same level ( i guess a very little high than previous)

Second, I smell something (i can't exactly express that smell) from the engine. There's on leaks .. the engine is dry. its peculiar smell.

Any help.. or any more information?

1993 Honda Accord EX. 200K miles

Silver.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Smells after driving

Smell is hard to explain over the net...

But most fluids in a carhavepeculiar smells. Open the various reservoirs & smell the fluids.

Openthe radiator cap (NOT when its hot) to recognize the small of antifreeze.
Open the fill cap for engine oil when it's hotbut not running.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:29 AM

as far as the engine temp. goes. if you live in a very warm climate this time of year it takes fluids a much shorter time to come up to operating temp.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Check to see if you have a crush washer on your drain pan... i didn't put one one, and when I push her kinda hard i start to smell a little bit of burning oil cuz a drip or two tends to come out due to pressure...

also check to see if your brake lines are leaking, particularly near the rotors.. that can have a pungent smell as well...

the temp climbing in <1min seems rather fast though... I'll have to monitor mine a lil better to see how long it takes in this Texas heat.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:32 AM

Experiencing sort of the same issue. I sheared off the Engine Temp. Sending Unit in the cylinder head lining my tranny up after the clutch/flywheel job, didn't repair it right away. Last week I went and bout a new unit at O'Reilly's (BWD brand) for $20, drained all the coolant and popped the new sensor in. Filled it with brand new fluid, bled the system and then burped it. The needle climbs faster than it did before and sometimes likes to hang out about an 1/8" before H or sometimes right on H, but other times will stay in the middle as usual, only rising when I'm sitting at lights. Any ideas?

Old 06-24-2008, 11:35 AM

In response to Spaz, to the OP: .... if your oil is heating up that fast, you are probably losing some. The temp gauge is for the oil, not the coolant as many believe. Oil shouldn't change temp that quickly unless a decent amount is missing.

Brandon: Have you tried removing the thermostat to see if it's blown out?

Old 06-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Falk, what years is the temperature gauge for oil? I wasnt aware of that. Its for coolant on all the HondAcuras Ive owned.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:20 PM

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...cord/Odo02.jpg

mine just barely gets over what you see here... just over 1/3

Old 06-24-2008, 06:07 PM

I seriously wouldnt worry about it heating up fast. as long as the cooling system is full, it doesnt overheat, and its not running lean i can't imagine that a fast-heating up engine would be bad. mine heats up in about a minute in this weather.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Two thoughts. Obtain an infrared temp sensor to check temp of coolant parts (thermostat housing, upper radiator hose return, etc). If they are over 195F, they are too hot, which would indicate bad thermostat or possibly partiallyblocked radiator. Check that both cooling fans are working.

Quick Reply: Smells after driving