General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

snow tires on rear??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

put them on the front,, if only 2 tires,,,,,,,,,,you need traction,, if car does not have good traction, when you take off from a stop and road is wet ( snowy) car will slide all over the place .....

Old 11-04-2009, 08:45 PM

everyone seems to have a good point.i did read some other comments regarding the issues and majority says " on rear due to stopping and keeping it straight even on FWD cars" but the best is ON ALL FOURS. i've been checking on craiglist and local ads for some used ones.obviously i've never driven with snow tires but i have all my tires siped, they did well with some slippage but now that i have a grandson, i just want to be a lot more safer. the General Artic seems to be a good one even on dry roads so that was my choice (as for now). I live in Montana so we get a lot of snow,but also our roads get clear pretty good except for side roads and some main streets. thanks for the inputs/replies and hopefully i can find some snow tires i can afford(4).

Old 11-05-2009, 01:43 AM
ryanreaction
Unregistered

I live in Montana too I just bought some 2 snow tire for my 97 Accord. I put them on the front and am very pleased with the results.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:45 AM
87LXi
Unregistered

I know I am new to this forum, but this post really concerned me as I have worked and managed a tire/service center for the last almost 4 years and see alot of valid points made. Fact of the matter is that on front wheel drive vehicles new tires NEED to be installed on the rear axle. Same goes for snow tires for all the same reasons and more, but really should be done as a set of 4 for better safety and stability. All tire manufacturers have made this clear to the service providers and distributors, it is a major safety issue if you do not for yourself and anybody else driving around you. Any good tire store will not install them on the front, unless they just don't care and just want your money.

The below is taken from the Tire Industry Association (TIA) website:
http://www.tireindustry.org/tire_saf...s_here_ATS.asp

TIA Certified Technicians Present
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why should I install two new tires on the rear axle of my front-wheel-drive vehicle?

A: Because a vehicle with brand-new tires on the front axle and worn tires on the rear has a greater tendency to lose control when turning in wet or slippery conditions. While the new tires on the front may "hug the turn," the worn tires on the rear may slide out and "fishtail." This condition is known as oversteer, and it has been known to cause serious and fatal accidents on front-wheel-drive vehicles with two new tires on the front axle and two worn tires on the rear.

Q: Can I install two snow tires on the front axle without installing them on the rear?

A:
No. If winter/snow tires are installed on the front axle of any vehicle, they must also be installed on the rear. The difference in traction qualities may result in adverse handling characteristics, which can lead to loss of vehicle control. Therefore, in order to maintain performance and stability, winter/snow tires must be installed on all four wheel positions on front-wheeldrive vehicles.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 87LXi
I know I am new to this forum, but this post really concerned me as I have worked and managed a tire/service center for the last almost 4 years and see alot of valid points made. Fact of the matter is that on front wheel drive vehicles new tires NEED to be installed on the rear axle. Same goes for snow tires for all the same reasons and more, but really should be done as a set of 4 for better safety and stability. All tire manufacturers have made this clear to the service providers and distributors, it is a major safety issue if you do not for yourself and anybody else driving around you. Any good tire store will not install them on the front, unless they just don't care and just want your money.

The below is taken from the Tire Industry Association (TIA) website:
http://www.tireindustry.org/tire_saf...s_here_ATS.asp
Did you read this statement?

‘Because a vehicle with brand-new tires on the front axle and worn tires on the rear...”

Brand new tires on the front will give you the traction you need for steering and braking. Same would apply to winter tires installed in the front.

Yes “worn” tires on the rear can cause the back end to slip, but that is easy to correct with throttle and steering on a FWD car.

Ideally you are right, you want winter tires on all 4 corners.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:26 PM
87LXi
Unregistered

Originally Posted by GOT BOOST
Did you read this statement?

‘Because a vehicle with brand-new tires on the front axle and worn tires on the rear...”

Brand new tires on the front will give you the traction you need for steering and braking. Same would apply to winter tires installed in the front.

Yes “worn” tires on the rear can cause the back end to slip, but that is easy to correct with throttle and steering on a FWD car.

Ideally you are right, you want winter tires on all 4 corners.
Why yes I did read it...and have several hundred times to my customers, question is did you actually read it beyond what you quoted?

Because a vehicle with brand-new tires on the front axle and worn tires on the rear has a greater tendency to lose control when turning in wet or slippery conditions. While the new tires on the front may "hug the turn," the worn tires on the rear may slide out and "fishtail." This condition is known as oversteer, and it has been known to cause serious and fatal accidents on front-wheel-drive vehicles with two new tires on the front axle and two worn tires on the rear.
Please read the whole thing before selectively quoting and then adding your opinion. You are entitled to your opinion, but please allow the facts to sway that opinion in the right direction.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:41 PM

Why yes I did read it...and have several hundred times to my customers, question is did you actually read it beyond what you quoted?

Please read the whole thing before selectively quoting and then adding your opinion. You are entitled to your opinion, but please allow the facts to sway that opinion in the right direction.

I did read the statement. I found the wording interesting, especially the "Brand new Tires in the front" There was no mention of worn tires in the front. Brand new tires in the front and winter tires in the rear will provide traction. Why... you have brand new tires on your drive wheels.

Your traction would be pretty subpar if you had worn tires in the front and winter tires in the rear. How will you turn and drive in a FWD car if you can not get traction in your drive wheels?

Have you ever ice raced before in a FWD car? I have and I know exactly where I want my winter tires if I were given the option of only running two of them.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:56 PM
87LXi
Unregistered

The issue here is not about racing, it is about the common driver, it is about traction vs stability. Yes I have raced FWD and RWD cars and would not have an issue correcting the oversteer issues, but I am more concerned with the people that don't have racing backgrounds and are driving their kids around and on the same road as me...

Old 11-09-2009, 01:18 PM

The issue here is not about racing, it is about the common driver, it is about traction vs stability. Yes I have raced FWD and RWD cars and would not have an issue correcting the oversteer issues, but I am more concerned with the people that don't have racing backgrounds and are driving their kids around and on the same road as me...
If you have ice raced then you will know about traction vs stability. You can then apply it to the streets and the common driver.

The true issue is not about the tires, it is about experience and the severe lack of it when it comes to driving on ice, snow and slush that most people have.

As I stated, my preference is to have winter tires on 4 corners. Given the choice of only two installed...then you know where I stand.

Would you feel more comfortable if a person understeered into you from lack of traction in the front drive wheels or over steered and fish tailed into you from traction in the front.

My preference would be the oversteer and crash into me with their rear end.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:38 PM
87LXi
Unregistered

Originally Posted by GOT BOOST
The true issue is not about the tires, it is about experience and the severe lack of it when it comes to driving on ice, snow and slush that most people have.

Would you feel more comfortable if a person understeered into you from lack of traction in the front drive wheels or over steered and fish tailed into you from traction in the front.

My preference would be the oversteer and crash into me with their rear end.

You hit it right on the head with that statement...lack of driving skill. That is where stability is better vs traction. But in any given situation there are pros and cons, but I would rather see people go towards the stability issue to avoid the oversteer, especially on highways at higher speeds.

In my shop I will not install snow tires only on the front and install them on the rear only...after they leave my shop it is up to them if they want to rotate them and put them on the front.

But to each their own, and I think this post has alot of info for both sides and it will be up to the vehicle owner as to what they want to do.

Quick Reply: snow tires on rear??