General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOLVED - '04 gauges out, rev light out blowing fuse #21

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a little confused by your last post. Which mirror is dead? Is it the driver's vanity mirror light, the side powered mirror, or an add-on Honda automatic day/night mirror with compass?

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-30-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

If you have the automatic day/night mirror with compass, that black wire harness may be for it. Usually on the newer generation Accords, only EX-L (leather) trim came with it; it was an add-on for most other trim levels.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/accord/04-mirror.pdf

Attached Thumbnails SOLVED - '04 gauges out, rev light out blowing fuse #21-day-night-mirror-compass-harness.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

If you have an electronic type mirror, can you take a picture and post it; so, we can see whether it is an OEM accessory or aftermarket.?

Old 07-30-2013, 05:13 PM

Sorry should have been more specific.
Right, it's the driver interior rear view main center windshield mounted mirror.
Factory leather installed EX model.
Yeah, was thinking this wire runs up to that mirror thru the A Pillar.
What the heck is that green wire "option connector" that's Ts off the green wire that runs to the MICU and onward to the rear brake lights?

Attached Thumbnails SOLVED - '04 gauges out, rev light out blowing fuse #21-img_8941.jpg   SOLVED - '04 gauges out, rev light out blowing fuse #21-img_8943.jpg   SOLVED - '04 gauges out, rev light out blowing fuse #21-img_8944.jpg   SOLVED - '04 gauges out, rev light out blowing fuse #21-img_8952.jpg   SOLVED - '04 gauges out, rev light out blowing fuse #21-img_8959.jpg  

Last edited by rjaccord; 07-30-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rjaccord
Sorry should have been more specific.
Right, it's the driver interior rear view main center windshield mounted mirror.
Factory leather installed EX model.
Yeah, was thinking this wire runs up to that mirror thru the A Pillar.
What the heck is that green wire "option connector" that's Ts off the green wire that runs to the MICU and onward to the rear brake lights?
The C602 "option connector" is used for your automatic dimming mirror. It is not used if it was other trim levels without the auto dimming mirror.

You may have found the source of your problem.

Attached Thumbnails SOLVED - '04 gauges out, rev light out blowing fuse #21-splice-junction-connector-detail.jpg   SOLVED - '04 gauges out, rev light out blowing fuse #21-c602-option-connector.jpg   SOLVED - '04 gauges out, rev light out blowing fuse #21-auto-dimming-interior-mirror.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 05:34 PM

The pic 4 & 5 above
and on this post pics show more detail of wiring which I am almost sure is not factory to that oddball accessory that is not connected and I have no idea what it does, it also connects to that weird glued behind the dash sensor, and as mentioned earlier car will not start without it hooked in.
There is also a pic of probably non factory hot splice into a black and yellow power lead - that plastic butt end connector simply housed a (blown) 2 amp fuse. Last pic is weird computer looking connector to nothing.

Attached Thumbnails SOLVED - '04 gauges out, rev light out blowing fuse #21-img_8961.jpg   SOLVED - '04 gauges out, rev light out blowing fuse #21-img_8965.jpg   SOLVED - '04 gauges out, rev light out blowing fuse #21-img_8967.jpg   SOLVED - '04 gauges out, rev light out blowing fuse #21-img_8940.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

These butt connectors and wire connections do not look stock. Are they part of that other aftermarket accessory (not the auto dimming mirror) from the earlier posts we talked about?

Edit: You posted right before I posted this one.

Attached Thumbnails SOLVED - '04 gauges out, rev light out blowing fuse #21-wire-butt-connectors.jpg   SOLVED - '04 gauges out, rev light out blowing fuse #21-wire-harness.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-30-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:36 PM

Woohoo!! this gives me something to look forward to when I get the car back from my gf tonight. (At least I can hope for a few hours before facing the music and partying or back to drawing board).

THANKS REDBULL!!!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:39 PM

Yeah, that's that weirdo aftermarket looking accessory. It's all tied in together. Seriously, if you saw the stupid way someone wrapped a black two wire cable around raw metal framing under the steering wheel and compared it to ANY Honda wiring I've ever seen in this car or my Integra you'd know right away that's not factory.

I don't think this is, in fact, tied into the back up light / green wire circuit in any way, but it would interesting to know just what the heck this is. And again, I can't disconnect that butt spliced hack job from power or the car won't start. There is an alarm, but I always thought it was factory installed. Has pro looking red blinky on dash and 'panic' on Fob which still works if I unplug that weird set up.

That thing has a huge inline fuse - rated 40Amp I think (??), and only powers the hidden glued in sensor to right of steering wheel, and that computer plug in thingee. The gauge of the wire that's super thick and that large inline fuse makes me wonder what the hell is needing to potentially pull all that power? Is this the end? Had Big Brother gotten to all our cars and recording everything we do?

Last edited by rjaccord; 07-30-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

I also agree that the aftermarket accessory (whatever it is) would probably not be tied into the back-up light circuit. It does not seem logical for any purpose, if they did.

Quick Reply: SOLVED - '04 gauges out, rev light out blowing fuse #21