General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sounds from the steering column?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Sounds from the steering column?

My 2009 LX-P is great. However, when I turn the steering wheel there is a creaking sound when turning left or right. It slightly intermittent but happens almost every time I turn the wheel. The car is certified and has a warranty as I've only owned it for one week. Any thoughts on the cause of this? I don't know what the inside of a steering column looks like or what parts are involved. It almost sounds like a tight spring or like something needs to be lubricated. I don't know what to do. I'll probably call the dealership and make a service appointment but I would love to know what could be going on prior to making that call.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

The steering column lower bearing may be mis-set. If it is, they have to replace the steering column. Refer to TSB:

mordor.rutgers.edu/accord/tsb/08-09%20steering%20wheel%20pop%2009-078.pdf

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-31-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks for the reply, i'm just hoping that the "certification" will cover this repair whatever it turns out to be.

Last edited by bdubs13065; 07-31-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

It should, as steering would also be covered under the "certified" used car warranty.

automobiles.honda.com/certified-used/warranty.aspx

Old 08-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm taking the car to the dealership tomorrow to have it looked at. Should I lead with the Service Bulletin (if so it needs a new steering column). I have read the Service Bulletin cover to cover and it seems as if this is the exact problem I'm having. I'm coming from a VW Jetta with 183000 miles that I owned for 11 years and had no real problems with it I was just ready for a new car. It was always serviced at the VW dealership and I trusted them with my car. Is Honda service top notch or is it dealer specific? I've only owned my Accord for 9 days and already have a problem. I'm hoping for the best. Any thoughts?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

I would explain the problem to them and mention the service bulletin. Sometimes the service adviser is not aware of certain TSBs. I would be polite as that usually gets the best response and service. Service can differ even at the same dealership due to how the service adviser is. My opinion is a good service adviser is just as important as the tech assigned to your car.

Just be aware that service bulletins are not recalls, etc.; but, to help the techs remedy known problems or issues. Sometimes an issue may not be the one published in a service bulletin.

I currently own a 2009 Accord and the car has been relatively trouble free with over 74,000 miles on it since it was new. This is my 3rd Honda and they pretty much been very reliable. I've owned a VW GTI before and from my experience it was reliable; but, not quite as reliable as the Hondas I had.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks again for the insight.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I dropped the car of at the dealership this morning, and low and behold it needs a new steering column. It goes back tomorrow to have it installed. Thanks redbull-1 for the tips and head up on this issue.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

No problem.

There are specific TSBs applicable to the 8th generation Accords, many are included as part of that first link I posted previously. On the whole, the 8th generation Accords seem pretty good right now; not many had major problems.

Although not included as part of any service bulletin, I would say to regularly check your oil level and change the oil as needed. For the 4 cylinders, some Honda techs have reported a few problems with the timing chain tensioner which may cause the timing chain to skip teeth due to low oil pressure, which in turn may damage the engine.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I will certainly keep an eye on the oil level. One question is should I get the oil changed on a regular interval or use the computers suggestion on % of oil life left? 3k or 5k miles or 30% or 20% of oil life? Any thoughts from anyone, other 8th generation owners or service techs? I want this car to run for a very long time.

Quick Reply: Sounds from the steering column?